Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

How to play DVDs, Flash, Java, MP3s and all other restricted extras easily with Ubuntu.

Options
RSims
RSims Posts: 146
edited October 2011 in Ubuntu

While searching through the Ubuntu Software Center on my Kubuntu system I noticed something that I don't recall seeing before that would make new arrivals lives a lot easier, although that doesn't mean it wasn't there already lol. It's a package that includes all the restricted extras like mp3s, DVD play back, java, flash etc... all bundled into one easy to install package.

How nice and simple this is.Even tho I am on Kubuntu I always install the Ubuntu Software Center, because by default Kubuntu uses Muon Software Center and I just like using the Ubuntu Software Center a lot more. If your not using "Ubuntu Software Center" and you can't find this package I am talking about, try installing Ubuntu Software Center and finding it that way.

In your software center in ubuntu 11.10 search for "Ubuntu Restricted Extras" I'm on Kubuntu,so I installed "Kubuntu Restricted Extras", If your on Xubuntu they have a "Xubuntu restricted extras".

One last step for DVDs, copy and paste this into your terminal:

sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh

Now your good to go, then install VLC player and you have your DVDs playing. Or Dragon I suppose if your on Kubuntu and like Dragon.

I hope this helps guys! Enjoy your movies!

Comments

• Hipptambius
    Options
    Hey, didnt know it was in the softwarecenter, what i do is this:
    wget --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/$(lsb_release -cs).list
    apt-get update 
    apt-get --yes --allow-unauthenticated install medibuntu-keyring 
    apt-get update
    apt-get install -y libdvdcss2 vlc ubuntu-restricted-extras

it has not failed so far, would be cool to know if there is any difrence between the gui way and terminal :D
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Options
    The terminal method allow more fine control of what is being done and it is generally much faster to paste a command or run a script then having to search for each package in the gui.

Categories

Upcoming Training