Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

wifi on 12.04 and other questions

stellla
stellla Posts: 28

Hi,

I have been using 12.04 happily since installing it. After a crash recently (from wubi) I reinstalled it with a usb stick. All works fine but suddenly, I can't use wifi. It recognizes the signal and shows that it is strong. But Wifi Radar also shows other signals. It just won't connect.

On Windows 7, however(which I also have for emergencies), all is well.

Is this an OS issue, am I missing something... that I also need to reinstall? Any commands that I could use? Or is it just that there is too much interference? (If so, why does it work with Windows?) Is there any way I could block these signals?

Also, I'd like to know which usb sticks are compatable with linux, and how many GB's are needed. I tried to load 13.04 on mine, 4GB and it wasn't eneough.

I know that these might sound like silly questions to those who are more experienced, but I would greatly appreciate any help. (My 60 yr. old brain is slow in learning )

Sincerely,

Comments

• stellla
    Hi Izzy,

Thanks for replying. As far as I know, Ubuntu worked fine on Unity from the beginning.
    The modem that I am using is a wireless adsl2+ T&W matr-X 4ew, at least that is what it says
    on the manual. Other than Wifi Radar, I also use Windows wireless drivers and Broadcam STA
    wireless driver. I updated them when reinstalling 12.04.
    The whole problem started about 2 weeks ago, when spring break began. Then I begaan getting different signals on my wifi. There are many hot spots here, and almost everybody has an iphone or ipad.
    Also, in an attempt to upgrade to 13.04 everything crashed because wubi isn't supported by 13.04 and I had to reinstall again on wubi. I'd like to try 13.04 first from a usb stick, but mine is too small and I'm looking for one compatable with linux that I can use for this. I have tried various tweeks that I have read on different forums. Nothing works.
    If it helps... my laptop is a Samsung RF711. It has NVIDA Optimus , intel core i5. originally with windows 7. (here the problem started ) which is why I want to make a clean install.
    I can't understand why wifi works with Windows and not with Ubuntu. Especially since it worked before.
    I hope that this is enough information.
    Sincerely,
  • stellla
    Hello again,
    So far tried removing everything except the wifi client, nothing there.
    Then just removed and reinstalled wifi client, nothing.
    Finally reinstalled whole OS, nothing.
    Even tried creating new account, changing frequencies, running a diagnostic test of modem.
    As far as trying usb again... everytime it says that there is not enough space. Even though it is empty. Maybe, I'll just buy a larger one, they're cheap enough.(Mine is old)
    It could just be too much interference... it has happened before. But it solved itself,after a while. I'm in Greece.... we have this problem with infrastructure. The government hasn't done much to improve ISP service, which results in wired and wireless problems.. since practically everybody has some wireless device... they're quite affordable.
    That however is an economic/ political problem.
    Thanks anyways for all the help. Will let you know if I do find a solution. For now, will use ethernet... like my son suggests anyways.
    Sincerly,
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    I am hoping that your problem is with signal interference as it would show itself differently in linux than in windows because some manufacturer supplied drivers are instructed to ignore some types of errors. However, if the problem started with a kernel update then it may be a sign of a regression in the drivers for your wifi card to which I highly recommend plugging the device into the wired network and reporting the problem to ubuntu so see that they say since they also have kernel engineers and can work on a solution.
  • stellla
    Hi,
    Thanks for reminding me.
    I reported the problem on Launchpad.
    Sincerely,
  • ogle
    ogle Posts: 2
    I have installed Linux mint and windows 7 as a dual boot on my laptop, windows 7 is no problem using the Realtek HD audio manager using AC290 codecs but Mint, Ubuntu and Sabayon will not see any audio let alone hear anything on the laptop and only uses the built in audio which doesn’t make any sound at all, not on any music or videos with VLC player I have tried for two days to get it going, on the point of junking all Linux and sticking to Windows 7 which works well with VLC, which is a shame as it’s taken a long time to set up a dual boot system laptop! Is there anyone or anything I can do to rectify my problem.
    Thank you for any help anybody might give
    Ogle
  • stellla
    Hello again,
    As an educator, I have always believed that knowledge is not a commodity that should be bought and sold(usually at high cost), but rather something that should be shared equally so that all may benifit.
    That is what got me into open source and Linux. In that same spirit, I pass on the link to
    my attempts to find a solution to my problem, with the help and support of the wonderful people in Launchpad. That way, everyone can follow and learn along with me. ( The brain is a muscle, and like all muscles must be exercised... or else it becomes weak and lazy.)
    Fortunately, open source and Linux... allows me to exercise mine.

(https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/229010)

Sincerely,
  • stellla
    Hi again,
    For the record the problem is solved. After changing frequency on wifi, there was no interference. Then the connection was reestablished... but there was a problem with the service provider and I was without any access what so ever. So I called then and they checked and fixed the problem from their side. Now all is well.
    All in all, it was a real learning experience.
    The response from launchpad was fast and immediate. Something that is rare these days.
    Also, from service provider...

Sincerely,
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    I am glad that launchpad was able to fix your problems. I personally do not use ubuntu because I do not agree with their software choices, but I have personally met some of their engineers and they are knowledgeable, passionate people who are very willing to help correct problems.

As for any ubuntu, if you just need help understanding a tool then checkout http://help.ubuntu.com and if there is a problem with hardware not working or software acting weird report it on launchpad so that community can help you.

We here at linux.com will always try our best to help you but we use varying distros and may not always know your distro or hardware well enough to give a prompt answer so it never hurts to ask in both locations, if nothing else we can point you to the community for your chosen distro.
  • GregMcC
    GregMcC Posts: 1
    Just make sure that the USB Stick you buy is fast enough - I bought one from Maplin to be really disappointed w.r.t it's speed - especially as a bootable stick - and YES that PenDrive software is brilliant ...

Greg , Liverpool UK

Categories

Upcoming Training