Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Ubuntu update problem

Options

I recently updated to 12.04, but now whenever I turn my computer on it goes into just that blank darkish purple screen right before the actual desktop appears and stays there. It will make a noise indicating that I need to login with my password but it is still bank. So I tried typinh my password in anyway, but it's still doing nothing. The only way I can use Ubuntu is to go through "recovery mode".

Any tips?

-Mattehw

Comments

• Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    Options
    What kind of hardware are you running Ubuntu on. It sounds like your video card is not up to the task of running the most recent Ubuntu, or, the correct drivers weren't installed.
  • MatthewFarmer47
    Options
    Thanks guys for the help, but I still cannot get it to work.

Goineasy - I PC is very capable of handling any of todays software or operating systems.

pottaro - I put it into safe mode as I have it now and I ran < Ctrl-Alt-F1> and it took me to that black screen asking me for login and password. I don't know what it's talking about there. I am the only user and the only other time it asked me for my name is when I get into Ubuntu and it already says my user name. I typed in my name which I thought would be the user and then my password to get into Ubuntu and that didn't work.
  • MatthewFarmer47
    Options
    Nevermind, I just got it fixed!
    I went to system settings and found the proprietary settings and fized it. I didn't know where it was or else I would have like you said in the first place portaro

thanks guys
  • bilhakki
    bilhakki Posts: 1
    Options
    where to fix this
    E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (2: No such file or directory)
    E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    Options
    Log in as root, or use sudo to complete the task. It would also help to see what you did to bring up this error. Showing the error without the command is not going to get you accurate answers.

Categories

Upcoming Training