Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Best Linux distro for optimize battery consumption (Asus EeePC)

Hi everyone,

I'm very new here and I'm not sure if here is the proper site to post this question (I apologize if not).

I've using linux for a couple of years (Mint) trying to move from windows to Linux. I've an old Asus Eeepc 1005HAB with XP and I've installed LinuxMint Isadora (Gnome) with dual boot. I'm really really happy with the performance of the system, but the problem is that the battery consumption is very hard: with windows the battery last more than 2 hours, but in Linux it hardly reach the 90 minutes (without using video and/or audio). It's truly annoying because I really DO LIKE LINUX!!!

I've investigated several solutions. For example, moving to LXDE I've noted a drastic increase in battery life, especially when using powernowd to configure processes and eeepc applet (don't sure if jupiter and eeepc applet obstaculizes each other).

But I'm thinking about moving to a distro that be focused in optimizing the battery use, mainly by including built-in kernel configurations and things like that (I'm a bit afraid to make a mess by compiling). I've read about Bodhi-linux, Fuduntu, Aurora-OS and others but I can't decide yet...

Could you help or advice me? What do you think?

Thanks in advance!!!

Comments

• saqman2060
    saqman2060 Posts: 777
    If you are using the later UIs like Gnome#, or Unity, you may experience a decrees in battery life. Also, the kernel in use could have extra functions that could drain it too.

Stick with Gnome@, XFCE or LXDE if you like user-friendly UI.

Have a look at this site:

How to Maximize the Battery Life on Your Linux Laptop
  • Xstor
    Xstor Posts: 2
    Hi!

Thanks for your response. I've already checked out that site. I'm needing some advices about using distros that specifically have a better battery performance...what about WattOS, Bodhi-linux, Fuduntu and Eeebuntu? Do they have a lower battery consumption? Do you know other distros with lower battery consumption?

Thanks again!
  • saqman2060
    saqman2060 Posts: 777
    I have not tried any of those distros that you mentioned. Should though :-)

There is one thing that I did not mention. I have found that the newer kernel versions, 3.x.x have a tendency of consuming battery life excessively. What I would do is look for a distro that uses any kernel version marked 2.6.x. They seem to go easy on mobile battery life. Ubuntu 10.04 LTS uses such a kernel.

ubuntu 10.04 LTS

Categories

Upcoming Training