Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

distro for high end laptop

Hi there I have a new latptop Acer with intel I7 q3610 processor 32 gig ram nvidia gt650m videocard , samsung 830 ssd @256gig... Nice machine , im looking for a distro to use the advanced features like optimus and such . i currently run the latesy PCLinuxOS which i really like the look/feel of but its not even 64bit , id like 64bit with ability to utilize all 32gig or ram plc has a pae kernel but they freeze up on me and the latest kernel isnt pae .

so in essence i want a 64 bit distro that has asscess to all 32 gigs ram , optimus support latest drivers ...

i have tried many distros i dont like ubuntu look/feel or mint i kinda like kde interface .

thanks for any advice. geraldw321

Comments

• fisheater
    fisheater Posts: 7
    edited January 2013
    Check out the new netrunner
    I do not know of any distros that come with all drivers needed, sorry.
    Welcome!
  • Izzy1512 wrote:
    Hey Gerald,

I apologize for our slow response time. Mandriva is the mother OS to PCLinuxOS, so it should support your Nvida Optimus components. On top of that, it has full-on 64 bit support.

Mandriva: http://www.mandriva.com/en/downloads/

Let us know if this helps, and thanks for coming to Linux.com. We're glad to have you.

Izzy

hi there and thanks for the reply. interestingly enough i came across Mageia a fork of mandriva and liked it a lot. a new Mageia 3 beta 2 was just released and im going too install it and try it out for awhile. i think ill stick with it if its stable.

Ill be posting my findings here for others to review and hopefully help them out .

thanks again geald321
  • Yes, please tell of your experiences with Mageia, geald321 !

Categories

Upcoming Training