Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Trying to decide. Need more information.

Alright, here goes.

I'm putting together a new machine, Phenom Quad Core, 8GB RAM, GT 520 Video Card.

I'm currently running XP Home and I play a LOT of games on Steam, etc.

However XP doesn't fully support my new setup, and finally gives me a reason to fully consider the switch to Linux.

I've looked around at Wine, PlayonLinux, etc.

So far the most positive sounding thing I've seen mentioned is a 'Windows VM'

Could someone give more information about that?

Will that eliminate the compatibility issues with Linux towards the games?

Will that allow my system to utilize the full RAM and processor power available, which XP itself simply will not?

Any other useful information would also be appreciated, thank you.

Comments

• Actually, That was the conclusion I was coming to slowly.
    I really am intrigued by Linux, but as a desktop gamer, it does seem that I'll probably be sticking with Windows.

I do appreciate your input, and if anyone else has anything to add, I look forward to hearing it.

(Now off to try finding a deal on Microsoft's overpriced necessity of a system.)
  • Izzy1512 wrote:
    Wait. What... Did I just advise you to buy Windows instead of trying Linux? On the official Linux forum? I guess my account is as good as gone. :D

This made me chuckle. I don't see why they would do that. You're simply giving me a realistic response.

The truth is, Linux doesn't have the game support that I desire.
    I do appreciate your idea for the upgrade disk. Thank you.
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Your hardware is good enough to handle most everything and pretty much all Linux based distros now enable up to 64G of RAM on installation. However if you want to play games build on the windows libraries you are best off running them in a windows OS.

However the new news is that steam is currently testing a Linux client in ubuntu and will be releasing several games for Linux, some are reporting increased framrates and better performance. With that in mind, I recommend setting your computer as a dual boot, windows for windows games and ubuntu for linux based games and to consume the new linux based games.
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    As mfillpot said, dual booting would be a definite plus. Especially if you're into Steam games. 2013 is going to an interesting year for Gamers and Linux. You can keep up with the progress here:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/221410

I've also heard that besides Ubuntu, Fuduntu (The distro with the really strange name - It was originally a fork of Fedora with an Ubuntu sounding name.) also has the beta in it's repos. Now, if only someone had a Steam account.
  • RSims
    RSims Posts: 146
    Your best bet is a dual boot system with both Linux and Windows for games. Steam is currently running closed beta for Linux, however it's not done and will probably be a while. Right now a dual boot system with both full blown linux and windows is the best bet for gamers.

Categories

Upcoming Training