Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

linux image 3.6.0 breaks my NFS

jheaton5
jheaton5 Posts: 3
edited October 2012 in Kernel Development

I have been running linux-image 3.5.2 on debian sid since the release of 3.5.2. I have not had any issues with nfs. Today I installed 3.6.0 and my nfs does not work. The server location is mounted in the client /etc/fstab but file manager does not see the symlinks. What has changed in the way the kernel handles nfs in 3.6?

Edit: This may be the same issue with symlinks as mentioned here

Edit 2:

nfs symlinks in /etc/fstab:

192.168.1.100:/home/jheaton5 /home/jheaton5/chico nfs rw,hard,intr,sync 0 0
192.168.1.100:/home/jheaton5/chico /home/jheaton5/chico/chico nfs rw,hard,intr,sync 0 0

Comments

• Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    I don't know what the answer is to your problem, but Googling shows that it has been reported before. There was a dirty fix discussed in this thread:

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=683972

Although it would break nfs on older kernels. If you're not going to use the older kernels, It might be a temporary fix. I would have thought the problem would have been fixed already, it's been known for months.

Hopefully someone will come along that is more experienced with nfs than I am.
  • jheaton5
    jheaton5 Posts: 3
    edited October 2012
    Thanks for your response. My search of the web shows that the issue was brought up prior to the release of 3.6. Monday's release of 3.6.1 still does not deal with the issue. I tried this workaround
    echo 0 > /proc/sys/fs/protected_symlinks

found here. This method is ineffectual because /proc/sys/fs/protected_symlinks is re-written with the value 1 on every boot. The change must be made in the kernel itself. Linus is aware of this issue and recommends a fix. Perhaps the fix is in the works and will come out soon. Until then, I will continue to use 3.5.2.

Categories

Upcoming Training