Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Installing Ubuntu 12.04 with Windows installer

I recently discovered a different way to install Ubuntu desktops through the windows Ubuntu installer. It worked for the latest version... no need for iso disk or usb stick. Of course you must have Windows installed on your computer... below is the link.

(http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/windows-installer)

Some may have already heard about this, but as usual I am late in learning.

Comments

• Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    Hi Estelle,

The link you gave was for the wubi installer. I haven't looked at it in a while, so it may work differently than I remember, but, the version I remember, doesn't install Ubuntu as a standalone, but rather, installs Ubuntu within Windows. Relying on Windows to host Ubuntu is a great idea, especially for beginners that are looking to get a taste of how Linux works, but, I'd rather keep my Linux partitions separate.

Linux file systems that are embedded within Windows file systems are more vulnerable than Linux file systems that are standalone. Then again, they may have made improvements since I last looked at it.

BTW - If you're happy with it, and it works for you, that's great. I just wanted to add this as an FYI for anyone else who looks at the thread.
  • RSims
    RSims Posts: 146
    It is great for beginners, however the problem with it is if windows crashes so do ubuntu, instead with a real dual boot system they are completely seperate.

So dual boot is still the best way to go, for stability if nothing else.
  • donebest
    donebest Posts: 1
    hi guys pls am new here.can some one help me with Linux file.what is it all about?
  • saqman2060
    saqman2060 Posts: 777
    I recently discovered a different way to install Ubuntu desktops through the windows Ubuntu installer. It worked for the latest version... no need for iso disk or usb stick. Of course you must have Windows installed on your computer... below is the link.
    (http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/windows-installer)

Some may have already heard about this, but as usual I am late in learning.

As of ubuntu 13.04, the "wubi" install is no longer be available. Instead, it will be better to install ubuntu alongside Windows on its own PC. If you are using ubuntu 12.04 or 12.10 use this site for instruction on installing uubntu on windows, Your text to link here...
  • Oh great! for sure i'm using this method today thanks.
  • thanks

• I have configure this on my laptop and I found this thing work for me very good.

https://techinfozone.net/how-to-install-ubuntu-20-04-desktop-alongside-windows-10-as-dual-boot/

• @donebest said:
    hi guys pls am new here.can some one help me with Linux file.what is it all about?

What kind of help you needed?

• arochester
    arochester Posts: 368

@techinfozone

You have just responded to a post which was made in March 2013. It's 2021 now...

Categories

Upcoming Training