Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

How to run my web browser as a background process ?

Hello Everone,

I am newbie in Linux O/S. I have worked with linux from last 3 month. I have used Fedora 15. I want to know how to start my web browser as a background process. I have searched for that and I also found some command that I have used command are..

(1) [user]firefox

Above command opened my browser window.

(2) [user]firefox &

This command opened my browser window along with pid display on my terminal.

(3) [user]firefox URL

This command opened browser window with define URL.

But I want to run my browser as a background process. So Is there is any command for that. Its very helpfull for me. I am waiting for your reply.

Thanks and Regrad,

Antrikssh...

Comments

• saqman2060
    saqman2060 Posts: 777
    Why do you want to run firefox in the background?

Daemons are system service that are ran in the background servicing the system or waiting requests from other apps. Firefox is a user app that the current user interacts with. It is not considered a daemon so it won't run in the background unless you execute it and minimize it to be used later. Again, it is meant for user access not system service.
  • Thank you for giving your presious time to me. This information is helpfull for me. Now I will never make this mistake again.

Thanks and regards,
    Antrikssh...
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    When an application such as firefox is launched in a GUI the cli output is hidden because it is in a non-visible shell which is basically in the background. Now if you meant that the application would be launched like a daemon process and will always be running then that can be a mistake, many applications (most notably web browsers) do have memory leaks which cause them to keep consuming memory/RAM and even increase their memory use when not being used, you should only run the application you need at the time and to avoid this memory hole and potential vulnerabilities from the running applications.

Categories

Upcoming Training