Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Ubuntu server 12.04 Finishing installation loop

Hi!

I was about to install Ubuntu server (ubuntu-12.04-server-amd64) from USB drive. The installation went well, until the very end - installation instructed me to remove the USB so the system could boot into new OS. I´ve removed it, confirmed and the setup went from aprox 95% to (i guess, it was very quickly) 100% but instead of then rebooting, it went back to the main install menu, "finish the installation" being selected.

Finishing the installation few more times didnt help either and since there is no reboot option in install menu, I had to do a hard reset. As expected, I was not offered to boot Linux after that last reset (only already installed Win7 and Win8).

I am afraid that if I repeat the installation this would happen again. Any ideas?

As you prob can tell from the very beginning, I am very new to Linux :(

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    There may be an issue with the image on the USB drive, have you attempted an installation from another medium such as a CD?
  • chekkizhar
    chekkizhar Posts: 182
    Are you sure about the amd arch of your machine?
    Did you check the checksum of the ubuntu image that you flashed into the USB drive?
    Check if any errors are mentioned for the USB Ubuntu Image in the internet .

PS: Do you have Win8?
  • chekkizhar
    chekkizhar Posts: 182
    and can you remember what u chose for the bootloader option?
    means, where to install, along with existing os etc.. like that
  • Try to reinstall the same as u did earlier, just reinstall, not going to format..... and again if it asks for the same words, don't detach the usb and hope after completion u will get a menu to boot from hard disk also in spite of attaching USB. or u can make 1st boot device of ur hard disk going to BIOS setup after finishing the installation and reboot immediately.

Categories

Upcoming Training