Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Ubuntu with photoshop cs6

Doreee
Doreee Posts: 3

Hi all

Have anybody used Ubuntu / Wine with the Adobe Photoshop CS6 final version? Does it work properly?

It is my last doubt before delete windows and install ubuntu.

I'm a professional photographer and this is the only windows program I cannot live without.

Thanks,

Doreee

Comments

• There r so many alternatives of PH on Linux OS. The lists r likes, GIMP, Pixia, Seahorse, PhotoPlus, Krita / CinePaint and lastly u r going to use Ubuntu, then u can also try for UbuntuStudio. Though u took oath not to work on other SW else PH, yes, it works fine with WINE / CrossOver. But u have to install MSCoreFonts and also go to apps then WINE & observe in the virtual C: drive by opening up & navigate to c:\windows\system32 where need to place two DLL files like (msvcr80.dll and atmlib.dll) into this folder.
  • woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    I doubt very much if CS6 (the latest and "greatest") works with Wine in Linux. CS5 has plenty of problems, and Adobe doesn't seem too interested in making it compatible with Linux systems. My advice? Run Windows in a Linux virtual machine, and then run CS6 there.
  • Doreee
    Hi, thanks for the quick reply. Using a virtual machine sounds easier, I will try it. I cannot get rid of windows... well, one day, maybe.
  • Doreee
    edited May 2012
    If anybody has experience in this, please share it.

Thanks
    D
  • woboyle
    I have a number of Windows programs that I run with Wine on my RHEL 6.2 system, but I also have a couple that will only run in Windows proper, so for those I run them in a Windows XP virtual machine (VirtualBox). It works just great for that. Some of the applications I run that way include my Fidelity stock/option trading software and my Epson document scanner software.
  • miseryGuts
    miseryGuts Posts: 3
    edited June 2012
    I'm a freelance Print and Motion Graphics Designer and currently running WIN XP 32bit, so I was looking at affordable solutions to upgrade to a 64bit system, which CS6 requires. Win7 is sells at an outrageous price! Ubuntu is one such solution, and Open Source is the way of the future... An IT friend was testing stuff out for me in preparation for my C:drive format and installation of Ubuntu. Here's what he said:
    "I tried to install CS6 under WINE 1.4 and it failed to even get to the install; there is WINE 1.5beta, but nothing is certain."

Here's what WINEHQ says about installing Photoshop CS6 (it's a fail, btw):
    http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=25607

Here's what WINEHQ says about installing the Adobe Creative Suite 6 (another fail):
    http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=25607&iTestingId=70359

Hope that helps. It doesn't help me!!! I guess Bill Gates gets richer and the poor get the picture. C'mon Bill... sharing is caring! Enough of your archaic business model!!
  • woboyle
    Unfortunately, Photoshop hasn't worked well under Wine since version 7 (pre-CS5). I still keep that version on my system, but to tell the truth I usually run such applications in a Windows virtual machine running under Linux. If you want to run CS6 (or 5 for that matter), then you will have to pay the Microsoft tax... :-( Open source alternatives? Try GIMP. The latest versions have been well-received by the graphics arts community. As for animation tools, there are good FOSS tools for that as well. I'll check with my sister-in-law (a professional animator and animation educator) to see what she knows about FOSS tools of the trade.
  • I'd love to know what your sister-in-law says! Although I'm not hopeful. I did this the other day, and not sure I could achieve anything like it using FOSS tools: http://youtu.be/EHd1DUIIeqM (but there's something in me that wants to believe!) So I guess, yes, at this point MS Win7 is my only option.

Thanks for the reply.
  • woboyle
    I'll send her a message now. No promises. I'll probably be able to tell you something tomorrow.
  • Duncan22
    Duncan22 Posts: 1
    Why bother trying to get CS6 working on Linux. Do what I did Fresh install of Windows 7 then install Linux which gives you the option of retaining Linux so you have a dual booting system so you can go into windows and use Photoshop as before.
    Most of my work is done with ACR and saved on an external drive in jpeg format which can then be accessed via linux if necessary
  • Problem is, Win7 64bit isn't free like Ubuntu 64bit is. I currently only have a WinXP 32bit and want to install CS6, which requires a 64bit system. Yes, there are ways to "creatively acquire" these things, but as a business owner, I want legitimacy.

Seems there's no way around it. Thanks for your reply though!
  • woboyle
    Assuming you want to pay for a 64-bit Windows system (Win7 recommended for that), you can run it in a Linux virtual machine easily enough. For those who have to use Photoshop CS6, that may be your only option, aside from a dual-boot system (yech). I run 64-bit Win7 in a Linux VirtualBox VM (64-bit RHEL 6.x) with no problems.

Categories

Upcoming Training