Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

linux crash

Options

just installed linux mint 12, ive not installed anything yet or done anything but everytime i type in the search box of software manager it freezes?? not a very good start with linux!!!

Comments

• roobal
    roobal Posts: 25
    Options
    I had also problems with Linux Mint 12, I thunk this system is a little bit unstable. What desktop environment did you installed? Maybe try another distribution, for example the newest release of Ubuntu.
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    Options
    I recently installed Kubuntu on a new machine, it really did everything automatically and everything works out of the box. This is the Kubuntu 12.04 LTS release.
    While I have been recommending Mint for quite some time, their use of new Desktop environments, like cinnamon and MATE, are still new and not as stable as older DE's like KDE, even though MATE is a fork of Gnome 2. Ubuntu is in the same boat with their Unity DE, although I hear that they did quite a good job of stabilizing it for this release.

My recommendation for new users will now be Kubuntu until the new DE's have been around for a while, and, have been given a chance to stabilize.

Categories

Upcoming Training