Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Your experience learning linux?

I'm doing some research on people's experiences learning linux, and I would really like to hear from new users and people that are already familiar with Linux.

Here's my questions:

1. How difficult do you find learning linux?

2. Why are you learning linux? Are you trying to get a career doing linux?

3. Did you take any classes? If, so what did you like about them? What could be improved?

4. Did you purchase any books or other material to help you?

5. How have you practiced what you've learned?

6. Have you taken any tests or certifications to gauge your progress or certify your knowledge?

Comments

• marc
    marc Posts: 647
    1- Could you please define difficult? Besides, what "kind" of linux? desktop?server? average Joe linux?
    2- I like learning it as well as I work on it :)
    3- I took some classes at college but they were *HORRIBLE* and didn't teach me anything at all ( I don't think Spain has the best universities at this kind of teaching)
    4- I did buy some books, although with internet you could find almost anything you need.
    5- Old computers, cloud computing, virtual machines... (I'd love to have more money to test further things though)
    6- I haven't taken any test/certification yet but I'm planning to :)
  • remkade
    remkade Posts: 2
    I'm specifically looking for the difficulties people have been having learning linux in order make it an easier process.
  • 1, I found that learning Linux was like learning to use a computer all over again, Easy stuff like somone would post a photo that I would want to draw on using paint was hard, I had to learn new softwhere then do the simple task.
    It is easy to do with Linux, you just have to learn basic skills over again.
    2, I'm learning to use Linux because I'm sick of computers that update them-self to the point that the Box can no longer work properly with the platform that the box was sold with, Forcing an upgrade (buy new Box) for a computer that is fully capable of doing what it was bought for.
    3, No classes. Fumble and learn. Lots of fumbleing.
    4, as above
    5, I use my computer as a computer user, I look shit up on the web, pay my bills and talk crap on forums (not this one).
    I have learned that with some patence, even a muppet like me can use linux.
    6, There was going to be a test? Shit. now you tell me!

Rant: Why are 90% of companys around the globe using a buggy computer platform controlled buy ONE company?
    If your car started to run slow and the advice was "start with closing the windows", Honestly, wouldn't you just get rid of the POS car?

Accualy, I've answered this all very honstly.
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    1. At first it was hard to learn Linux because I kept rolling back to windows for comfort, I forced myself to learn by removing windows from my system. Once I had no fall back OS, it was a breeze to learn and I became impressed with the stability and capabilities which made it a pleasure to learn.
    2. I learned Linux to try a more stable operating system with hopes to get a job in the field, as of now I do no professionally work on Linux for work but the skills have transferred to other aspects.
    3. I took two very weak classes in college. I experimented with Linux based software that competes with the windows software taught in other classes to get a better understanding of the competing options.
    4. Yes, I purchased a few books to learn more about Linux, but I learned much more in forums and in IRC channels.
    5. I practice my skills by helping others with their issues and projects while running all Slackware Linux as the base OS for all computers in my house, you would be amazed with the amount of network services that you can find a use for in a home network.
    6. I have not taken any certification exams because of my issues with vendor specific certs.
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    Before Android became dominant on cell phones, every time you bought a new phone, you would have to learn how to navigate through it's menus. Moving from Windows to Linux is no more difficult than moving from PalmOS to SYmbian, or, moving from iOS on the iPhone to Android. As soon as you learn to navigate the menus, and, learn what applications work similar to the ones you've used in Windows, then your learning curve is over. It's really no big thing these days. You don't even need to use the terminal to run Linux successfully, and most hardware is set up automatically during install. With a new install, one spends most of the time just configuring the desktop for optimum personal use. You do that with any OS, be it Mac, Windows or Linux.

Categories

Upcoming Training