Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Should I keep the same distribution or update to new one?

stellla
stellla Posts: 28
edited April 2012 in Ubuntu

Hello again,

I just saw that the new ubuntu 12.04 distribution was available for installation. Even though, I was kind of looking forward to it, because it is LTS, I don't know whether to update now, or wait. I just recently installed the last distribution- in December, and have just gotten used to it.

I know, I'll have to do some more research on this, but I'd like your opinions as well. I don't mind working out any bugs, as long as they're not too difficult.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• marc
    marc Posts: 647
    I like having bleeding edge software (minimally stable that is) so I would go for an update.

However, the decision still is up to you! ;)

Regards
  • stellla
    Thanks,
    Just finished taking an online tour of new distribution... really nice! It has some nice features on the desktop, that I liked, and that it is supported for 5 years is good too.

I think that I'll give it a try and install it- first chance I get.
    Also, I just recently tried the Ubuntu One app. I had it installed, but never used it- till now, have all my files, photos, and music in one place.

I also like to change distributions- it keeps my mind working. (That's what I like about Linux, just as you begin to get restless, something new comes along. :)
  • stellla
    Here I am again.

Just finished installing the new distribution. I tried to do it by the upgrade app. but it got stuck somewhere in the middle. I had to install it from a usb stick, where I had uploaded it from the website- which I had to access from Windows 7, which I had also on my laptop... it came with it, and fortunately I kept it. Only now, I have to go to Windows and boot it from there, so it's a few extra steps.
    Fortunately, I had all my files on Ubuntu One, so nothing was lost. I still have to put my bookmarks over again, and find a way to transfer all my files back to home folder. That's ok, though.

Maybe I should have waited till these bugs were worked out... but I learned something in the long run. (I reported the bug, so that it could be fixed, and will continue doing so.)
    I like what I see so far.
    Sorry for the long post...
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114

I also run bleeding edge distros but, I've stopped upgrading as soon as a new version is released, preferring to get work done instead of constantly tinkering. It is really your decision.
  • stellla
    Thanks,
    Everything is working fine. Since this is LTS, I won't have to tinker for awhile and can get some work done.
    It really is a nice distro.

While using Windows, I really became aware of the differences.. even my husband who isn't too computer literate noticed how linux was faster than Windows:).
  • saqman2060
    saqman2060 Posts: 777
    I like bleeding edge software as well. More so, like the newest and latest. If you must upgrade, make sure it will benefit what you are trying to do. If the system you have works fine then keep it, that is my opinion. Anyway, I'm glad you enjoy 12.04 LTS. I like it better than the last version. Keep tinkering.

Categories

Upcoming Training