Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Help: A suitable dist for an old laptop

Hi,

I've got an IBM T40 laptop running an intel celeron M cpu at 1.2 GHz and 1024 MB RAM. I'm currently running Ubuntu 11.10 on it but it's so slow.

I'm looking for another dist to run on it, I'm not entirely new to Linux but I'm not an average user either.

The laptop is used mainly for school work, writing reports, browsing the internet and the occasional YouTube video.

Does anyone have a dist, preferably lighter than Ubuntu 11.10, you'd recommend?

Regards

Ani

Comments

• animenia
    animenia Posts: 3
    That semi-worked, the command lines did what they were supposed to but during boot "Stopping save kernel message" fails and display starts to blink, guess I could download the distro and try to install it that way, assume there are some residual files messing with me or something, thanks for the help :)
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    If you plan to reinstall then you can install xubuntu which is ubuntu with xfce installed by default, as an alternative option you could try linux mint which is using a modified gnome that acts more like the old DE and should be quite fast.
  • animenia
    animenia Posts: 3
    Thank you very much for the replies. Installed Xubuntu and it's working like a charm :)
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    I am glad that xubuntu has fulfilled your needs. Feel free to come back with additional questions as you progress with your new distro choice.
  • carlex
    carlex Posts: 1
    Install any Linux distro of your choice and use LXDE as your default desktop environment.

Categories

Upcoming Training