Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Please give me a few tips.

Options

After a few days of looking at all the Linux Os available I began to get very confused decided to just go with the wubi installer and dual boot my computer. Until I get the hang of linux and I am able to get rid of windows totally. So Wubi loaded UBUNTU 11.0 on a seperate hard drive. My computer is a old dell pentium 3 with 384mb ram 2 20gig hdd and a external 120gig. A BFG nvidia geforce 6 series with 256 video memory. No dvd burner but a cd burner.So when I boot ubuntu it goes so slow that I can feel my hair getting gray waiting for it to load. I am wondering if there is a setting I can change or something I can do to make it at least as fast as my windows xp which I have learned to accept, but any slower than that and we have a problem you know. So did i give my computer more than it could chew? If so what should i put in it for a operating system? If not how do I tweek it to run alot faster. It is really slow but it works. i would be grateful of any help you might give. thanks

Comments

• woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    Options
    Usually Linux loads a lot faster than Windoze; however, the latest versions of Ubuntu are starting to get really bloated. Myself, in order to learn about and get comfortable with new operating systems, I don't dual boot them. Rather, I will install a virtual machine manager such as VirtualBox (free) and run the new operating systems in a virtual machine in my host OS. Examples:

At home, my main system is a Red Hat Enterprise Linux clone (Scientific Linux). I run Windows, other Linux systems, Solaris, QNX, and DOS in VirtualBox virtual machines.

At work, my main system is a Windows 7 laptop. I run Linux (several versions), Windows XP, and other systems in VirtualBox virtual machines.

Why? Because doing it this way I can allocate just as much system resources as I want to the operating system in question, and they don't mess with my main OS configuration. If I want to remove them entirely, it is a matter of deleting some files.
  • woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    Options
    One other thing - I also run a variety of emulators for other CPU families (ARM, MIPS, etc) on these systems as well. I need to emulate an entire raft of mobile phone systems, which I do. All of this is done in virtual machines or emulated machines (different CPU types).
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Options
    Your lag on ubuntu is based off of the current high requirements, I recommend checking into the option of installing an alternate window manager such as xfce to speed up the system.

Categories

Upcoming Training