Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

double spacing

I have two servers, one running Red Hat, the other (new) running Centos. I have set up all my printers and when printing from my software, everything is fine. But when I print from a line command on the Centos server, all the files double space.

Totally baffled. I'm just doing a standard lp command, no frills. The same command on the Red Hat works as I expected. I thought maybe there was something different with Centos, and it was using the -d as double space as per the pr command, but even without this, it still double spaces. I've tried just lp, as well as lp -d printername filename.

Thanks for any help

Comments

• woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    It's probably a configuration issue with regard to lp or cups (the underlying printer driver). Check your default CUPS settings, and those of lp - /etc/cups/lpoptions. If it is empty, look at the man page for lpoptions: man lpoptions. The man page is for the lpoptions command. The lpoptions command with no arguments will output your current settings. See how they differ between the systems.
  • Beuker
    Beuker Posts: 3
    Thank you so much for the reply. I don't often receive answers for posted questions. I did compare the lpoptions and while the Centos lists everything, the Red Hat only lists the changes I made from default.

The following is the output of lpoptions for the problem printer.
    media=Letter finishings=3 page-bottom=36 cpi=18 page-right=36 page-left=36 page-top=36 scaling=100 lpi=7 wrap=true number-up=1 copies=1 job-hold-until=no-hold job-priority=50 auth-info-required=none job-sheets=none,none printer-info='Ricoh 3045' printer-is-accepting-jobs=1 printer-is-shared=1 printer-location='Printer 03 General Ricoh 3045' printer-make-and-model='Generic PCL 6/PCL XL Printer Foomatic/pxlmono (recommended)' printer-state=3 printer-state-change-time=1334691515 printer-state-reasons=none printer-type=143372

• woboyle
    Well the lpi (lines / inch) seems correct. Word-wrap is on, so I am wondering if it may be possible that there are fill characters at the end of the lines that may be forcing a wrap? If not in the original document, then perhaps the CUPS driver is inserting them incorrectly? I'm just trying to think of what could be causing this situation. Another thing to check is the driver you are using on CentOS. Make sure it is the same one you are using on Red Hat, assuming it would be compatible. What versions of CentOS and RedHat are you running?
  • Beuker
    Beuker Posts: 3
    Thank you so much for the help. I have no idea why but it's now working. Rather red faced now. This has been a problem for weeks, and after going in and out of every cups file, making changes, restarting services, something I did corrected it.

Sorry for inconveniencing you.
  • woboyle
    No problem. Sometimes, these sort of things just need to be exposed to the light to correct themselves... :-)

Categories

Upcoming Training