Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Text Startup

Hello To all,

This is a real novice question. I am running Linux Mint 12 kernel version 3.0.0.16-generic. I want to change the startup screen from graphical to text. I was hoping someone could help me and refresh my memory. I looked at a site and it told me to edit a file in the /etc/inittab folder but i remember there was another way. Does anyone know how to change this?

Comments

• Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    Sorry for the delay, but, many of our forum members are on the road. When I want a text based boot in Fedora or Debian Sid I just remove "quiet" from the kernel line in grub. I don't have a Mint install working at the moment, but, since Mint is based on Debian, it should work the same.
  • marc
    marc Posts: 647
    The file you need to edit (IIRC) following GoinEasy9 suggestion is: /boot/grub/menu.lst

Remove the "quiet" word from the kernel boot line and you should be done with it :)
  • Thanks for the help. I really need to go back and learn more about the Kernel and the file system.
  • saqman2060
    saqman2060 Posts: 777
    Your welcome AmazingGray. We will be here to assist should you run into any problems.

Categories

Upcoming Training