Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Wrong date format for my locale

My locale is correctly set to en_US.utf8. The correct format for dates in this locale is "Fri Mar 16 2012." However, Linux, in every distro I've tried, will only display the date as "Fri 16 Mar 2012."

It appears that the en_US.utf8 defines this incorrectly. Is there a way to correct this problem system-wide on my computer? Can this definition be found in a file somewhere, that I can edit?

Is there a place where I can go to report this problem to whomever maintains the UTF standards?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• marc
    marc Posts: 647
    1- Are you sure is correctly set? how do you check?
    2- I have en_US.utf8 and my date format is:
    [marc@Fingolfin marc]$ date                                                                                                                             
    Tue Mar 20 16:31:48 CET 2012

Try this:
    export LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"; date

• When I try the things you suggested in LXTerminal, I see what you see. Thanks for that tip.

But the digital clock on the taskbar displays "Fri 16 Mar 2012 05:30:01 PM PDT."

So maybe the bug is in the digital clock?
  • marc
    marc Posts: 647
    What DE? gnome? kde?

There probably is a place where you can set the configuration of the clock...
  • I've seen it in Gnome and (currently) LXDE. I have figured out how to configure the clock to display the way I want. I just thought I had found a bug in something deeper.
  • woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    You need to set this environment variable in /etc/bashrc most likely, so that it is set when your GUI is started on login.

Categories

Upcoming Training