Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

How Important are Certifications?

Options

I have recently acquired my VMware and Security+ certifications, and have been learning the world of Unix and Linux. I have been considering going for another certification such as Linux+, though IT professionals have told me that companies aren't as concerned with certifications in Unix or Linux, just that you can perform the tasks.

Does anyone agree or disagree? If you disagree, what certification do you think is the most beneficial in the world of Unix builds? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    Options
    I've heard it both ways. Some companies look for certs on your resume, others only care that you know what you're talking about and can prove it by showing your knowledge during the interview. It never hurts to have certs though.
  • woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    Options
    For our company, a tier-one mobile phone manufacturer with major software divisions, certs will only help get you in the door for a phone interview. If you pass that, then you will be asked in for a face-to-face interview with a half-dozen top engineers who will grill you like a steak! I know, because I went through that late last year, starting at the company at the start of the year. Experience is important, but for new engineers, we look for those who can think for themselves and apply their learned knowledge to real-world problems. Honestly, after 30+ years as a professional software engineer (and patents to my name), I wasn't sure I would pass muster with this group! I'm still earning my stripes, but I think I am earning the respect of my peers here! As they say, the only reward for doing good work... is more work! If that is any indication, then I am doing well! :-)

Categories

Upcoming Training