Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Noobie needs more help for music

Hope you folks don't get tired of all my questions but I need to get set up to play music on Mint 12. It has Banshee installed and when I click on it it tells me that I need additional plugins installed. What do I need to download and can I get it here? I'm new to all this so be easy on the tech talk. Thanks

Comments

• Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    You should be able to get all the plugins/extensions right from the Mint repos. I always thought that Mint had all the codecs for things like mp3 installed by default. If that's the problem, search in the Add/Remove software application for "mp3" or "codec" or possible the name of the plugin that is missing, if, Mint told you what that was.

I don't have Mint up and running here, so, I can't tell you exactly what to look for, but if you're patient, someone will come along who can.
  • saqman2060
    saqman2060 Posts: 777
    @roadtrash

Look through your packages using "synaptic package manger" and search for ffmeg or ffmpg(it begins with ffm...lol) and install all packages with that name. Let us know what happened.
  • marc
    marc Posts: 647
    I thinki that he needs the gstreamer plugins (gstreamer-plugins-xxxx)

Regards
  • Roadtrash
    Roadtrash Posts: 17
    Marc you're right I just looked and it tells me I need gstreamer0.10-fluendo-mp3 and gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly. Where do I get these? As I said before I am not that sharp with computers and am a total Noobie to Linux. I really appreciate you folks helping.
  • marc
    marc Posts: 647
    I don't know Mint but I'm pretty sure it has a Package Manager if some kind (I mean a Graphical User Interface). Look there to install the needed packages.

This might also work in a terminal:

sudo apt-get install gstreamer0.10-fluendo-mp3 gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly

Regards

Categories

Upcoming Training