Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Choosing distribution new to the world of Linux

Hello

For some time i have been considering learning Linux. The problem is choosing a distribution, but which one to pick? I want to really learn how to install it from scratch. An installation made up by hitting next, next and next and then the GUI is up and you are able to surf on Firefox is not what im looking for. Sure i am a newbie but i want to trial and error to learn.

The distributions i know of is, but im not sure any of them meet my requirements?

Gentoo

FreeBSD

Fedora

Opensuse

Ubuntu

Debian

Best Regards

Shama

Comments

• marc
    marc Posts: 647
    FreeBSD is not a linux distribution but another Unix like OS ;)

Now, for the learning part: Archlinux, Gentoo or Slackware will suit you. Or even Linux From Scratch...

Regards
  • Shama
    Shama Posts: 2
    Thanks for the quick responses :) . My main goal is to be able to install and configure a linux distribution using preferbly command lines as far as possible. Later on when feeling more comfortable is to be able to set up a server running on linux. Going to check out Archlinux, Gentoo or Slackware. LFS seems abit to advanced but fun.
  • marc
    marc Posts: 647
    Debian could work as well
  • I have not so experience in that kind of learning but I've heart that Debian is usefull for that kind of tests.

Categories

Upcoming Training