Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Newcomer!

I just wanted to introduce myself to the community.

I am really new at this and I have been trying to teach myself everything which I know was probably a mistake, however, I really had no choice?

I am 56 years old and I'm retired due to some medical troubles. Anyway, I love working online although I have had no prior experience.

I have several Wordpress sites which are alright I guess, I really don't know what to think about all of this. I have been trying to learn the computer aspects, as well as site building, typing, SEO and some internet marketing.

In 15 months with no help at all, just some ebooks I got online and sites I've looked at. Anyway I am here to try to learn some new things if I can.

I saw some work a guy named Thomas did and he is a member here also, and his stuff was awesome! I hope I haven't done anything wrong by posting this message but I was hoping to meet some new people?

Thanks,

David

Relentless Traffic

Comments

• mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    Welcome to the site, you are welcome to join us and ask questions when you need assistance.

As for being self-taught, most of us here were either self taught or learned from others on this site to obtain the knowledge that we now have. You will fit right in.

Since you are venturing into SEO actions and many attempted SEOs have caused spamming problems I will say this, this is community site we are here to hep each other learn, please do not try to inject non-requested links in your posts.

As long as the SEO actions do not interfere with the communications you are a welcome member of the community.
  • I just got your email about my post. No, you don't have to worry about that. I have studied SEO a little to try an optimize my posts on my site, but everything I do would be referred to as whitehat.

I have read and seen some of the things I believe your talking about. On my sites I have right now I get hundreds of spam comments daily that I have to dump.

I'm sure its those auto submitters dumping comments to get backlinks because al the comments have links to various sites in them. I get dozens and dozens of them from the same sites!

I wish I knew how to stop them without cutting everyone else off at the same time?

Whatever the case may be, you don't have to worry about me, I am trying very hard to learn best practices! As with anything you do I believe there is always a right and a wrong way to do it.

I am glad to hear about most people teaching themselves, I have been going to another site to learn called W3Schools and they have extensive teachings on computer language or code?

Thanks a lot for welcoming me in! I do really appreciate your kindness!

David
  • marc
    marc Posts: 647
    Welcome aboard!

Most of my knowledge is self-taught (a little bit came from college, but not much) and I think there's nothing wrong with that hehe

Regards
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    For stopping the spammers onyour site you may want to see if you can have it validate users and ip addresses against stopforumspam.com , that is a very good site to track reported spammers which are mostly the bad SEO bots.

w3schools is a great site to learn the basic on web development, which I have used for years.

If you want to learn more about other languages or pretty much anything I recommend checking out http://www.wikibooks.org/
  • Welcome the community, youll find that most of us are eager to help and even more eager to continue learning. Enjoy your stay!
  • The Relentless1
    The Relentless1 Posts: 3
    edited January 2012
    Thanks Mike and mfillpot!

I appreciate the support

Take care guys!

David

Categories

Upcoming Training