Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

mint 12- networking...........it doesn't

I kave 4 computers two laptops running on Mint 9, a desktop running windows XP and another desktop running Mint 12. The first three will happily share files and folders however Mint 12 wont despite having missing packages (apache2.2bin and apache-mod-dnssd) installed and personal file sharing enabled. I have visited various forums and the same fixes are suggested to me as I have already tried. Can anyone help? I'll be honest and say Mint 9 is brilliant and would recommend it to anyone but would like to get Mint 12 properly running and sharing files. Compiz doesn't work either but that can wait.

Comments

• Hi,
    What about reverting back to Mint 9 on that one machine ?
  • hmmm you've really solved my problem, I bet you're a star in the advanced users forum. Have you tried the new release of Inact OS it works exclusively with nothing but write only memory. It has t.r.o.l.l. features- typically random only ludicrously laughable features. I think you'd like it!
  • >Have you tried the new release of Inact OS it works exclusively with nothing but write only memory. It has t.r.o.l.l. >features- typically random only ludicrously laughable features. I think you'd like it!

Hi,
    I am not interested in distributions meant to just play with it a few minutes, but thanks.
    I typically like GNU&Linux distributions which work and are reliable. My 2 great favorites are Archlinux and PCLinuxOS, both rolling release, one for more advanced users (which forces me to make more efforts) and the other for people needing a stable and up to date system day to day. (PCLinuxOS is very stable, while having most current programs available in their latest stable version). Archlinux has many more possibilities, while some things may not always working perfectly without some work.

I am not in the advanced users section, but a newbie here, registered just about a week ago. I contribute in the PCLinuxOS distribution where I brought a standalone easy to use Openbox version, the same for advanced users as a very small (Bonsai), and a few more under the shape of versions of existing ones remastered to French.

If reverting back to a Mint 9 solves your problem then it is great. Maybe can you keep it until a newer one comes to fix the actual bugs that the latest has.

Regards,
    Mélodie
  • Sorry Melodie, thanks for your considered advice. My earlier reply was aimed at the member provacative who seems to be trolling this thread. I have considered reverting back to Linux Mint 9 but enjoy the challenge of a new OS. Rolling distros seem a good idea but I've never tried them. I wish members like provactive would waste their puerile wit elsewhere. I hope you have not taken offence from my earlier reply it was meant for provocative and certainly not for you.I appreciate your time and trouble, thanks again.
  • Goineasy9
    Goineasy9 Posts: 1,114
    I'm sorry I missed that spammer, hopefully we will get a "Alert Moderator" button soon so we can get alerted quicker. Once again sorry for the delay.
  • melodie
    melodie Posts: 7
    edited January 2012
    >I'm sorry I missed that spammer, hopefully we will get a "Alert Moderator" button soon so we can get alerted quicker.

Hi,
    I was looking for something like that, and didn't find any, so I thought I would just ignore it and let a moderator or admin come by here and see for himself. Don't you have a mod to prevent spammers from registering ?

>Rolling distros seem a good idea but I've never tried them.
    If you got some spare time for that, here is for the challenge:
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Main_Page
    https://bbs.archlinux.org/

and it is a really rewarding challenge, and the community is really great !

and here is for the ease and comfort, and a nice community too:
    http://pclinuxoshelp.com/index.php/Main_Page
    http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php

>I wish members like provactive would waste their puerile wit elsewhere. I hope you have not taken offence from my earlier reply

I have not taken offense. I was just wondering why you were reacting this way. The one you talk about was just a spammer, and most probably a bot. Next time you read a suite of gibberish, you will notice that it is just a bunch of words with no precise meaning.

Regards,
    Mélodie

PS: I tried to use the BB code quotes but they don't display in my browser (the latest firefox)... have the admins considered using a classic forum among the ones actually available ?

Categories

Upcoming Training