Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Inability to create Direct HAL device error (0x8876086) and ‘phantom’ Ubuntu bootup

Options

Hi

Please forgive the length of this – I want to give as clear a picture as possible, in order to resolve the issues and get started with Ubuntu.

It seems that solutions are not very readily available, but I am willing to be patient and keep on doing research as I really would like to experience using Ubuntu.

I tried to install Ubuntu with Wubi and received the message

An error occurred.

No such file or directory.

For more information, please see the log file.

C;\users\****\appdata\local\temp\wubi-11.10-rev245.log

This said (a):

Ubuntu 11.10 installation error: Could not create DirectX HAL device (0x8876086)

I then uninstalled the program, removed all remaining files and rebooted.

On reboot I saw an option to use Ubuntu, but proceeded as normal with Windows 7.

I checked that there were no left over items, created a system restore point and tried again to reinstall with Wubi

Again, I received the same message.

I tried to use System Restore rather than uninstall Ubuntu and noticed that the Recovery folder now stated:

There is not enough space to restore the disk.

I then did a Disk Cleanup – as a (novice’s) way of trying to see if the System Restore Recovery folder would have free space! – and rebooted

The following message appeared:

Windows Boot Manager

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software chance might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer.

2. Choose your language settings and click "Next."

3. Click "repair your computer."

The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.

\cUbuntu\winboot\wubildr-mdr

0xc000000f

Ubuntu now appeared twice.

I choose Windows 7 and then uninstalled Ubuntu again – (having decided to sort out the System Restore Recovery folder mystery later on).

On checking for remaining files I found that the file mentioned was still present on C drive.

However, while looking for it, knowing I had 420Gb free space, I was alarmed to see the amount was now reduced to 402GB.

Interesting, as the install for Wubi was allocated 18GB.

Following another reboot which offered Windows 7 and 2 Ubuntu options, I am left with the following questions:

What did I do wrong?

What do I do about the Wubi installation error message (a)?

How can I recover lost disk space?

How do I remove the 2 Ubuntu options from bootup?

If I chose to install by USB – could I use an 8GB one and still be able to add other documents, picture etc to it?

In replying, please remember that I am a novice.

Thank you

Sharon

Comments

• woboyle
    woboyle Posts: 501
    Options
    Please tell us your make/model of computer, how much RAM it has, what CPU it is using, etc. Also, which version of Ubuntu are you trying to install (version + 64 or 32 bits). Additionally, is your file system NTFS, or is it a FAT file system?

Also, this error indicates that you may have to alter your BIOS settings, which is partially why the information above is important.

Categories

Upcoming Training