Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

First time linux project need advice.

so I've had an intel based imac for 5 years now and it helped me learn the little I know about unix and linux....

I am wanting to add a linux server os to a partition on my mac running osx 10.5 I want to be able to use my computer while it host my website, I have VMware Fusion & need to know a)is it possible b)is it as easy as it sounds? c)which linux should I use?

ps. I just want this to mess around with as a project host a blog website about the project and my be a business web site if I can run it reliably.

Comments

• I'm downloading ubuntu server right now... and plan to install it as a lamp server... and run dual os's using VMware fusion

I just want to be able to host my own site and still use my computer is that crazy? thanks for the help :)
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    It should be very simple to host Ubuntu Server in VMware Fusion on your computer, you will need to make sure that the Network type setup for the virtual machine is set to attach to your current network rather than creating a new internal network and you will need to set your router to forward the incoming web traffic to the virtual machine. You will also have to consider how to reinforce the server with a firewall and backup utilities since it will be a production webserver.
  • thanks guys I followed your advice and rooted traffic my way and put up a fire wall... honestly I'm kinda mad at how easy and free and full featured this is... thanks all
  • mfillpot
    mfillpot Posts: 2,177
    There are good reason that we chose this platform for our ventures, I am glad that you are seeing some of the benefits now.

Now that you understand the administration, I will point to the commend from Masen, if this is a business or production server that needs high availability I also recommend for you to checkout hosted services so that you do not have to leave your home computer on 24/7 and have to deal with potential attacks across your internet connection.
  • RSims
    RSims Posts: 146
    To me linux isn't just about linux, it's about an operating system completely dedicated to open-source software. There are open-source programs i've found to be a million times more reliable, stable, and interesting then many marketed closed source software. So make sure while your exploring linux, your also exploring the programs that will work on it.

For example if you have ever tried Microsoft's Virtual PC, then tried Oracle's VirtualBox, you will quickly realize VirtualBox is way ahead, VirtulPC is awful software.

Categories

Upcoming Training