Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Windows vista with Linux

Options

Ive looked into dual booting with windows vista and Ive found that one person states that its possible and another stating that Microsoft installed a security feature to the MBR to which when modified will cause windows to shutdown without warning. my plan is to install Linux onto my thumb drive and boot up Linux via thumb drive without erasing windows from the hard drive. Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• oldgi
    oldgi Posts: 4
    Options
    Shouldn't be a problem... on the setup page that set how the install should be configured select use the whole drive and at the partition window be sure to select your thumb drive where the boot loader is to be installed.. if you do not select your thumb drive you Windows loader will be over written with the Linux grub loader...
  • TF01
    TF01 Posts: 3
    Options
    oldgi wrote:
    Shouldn't be a problem... on the setup page that set how the install should be configured select use the whole drive and at the partition window be sure to select your thumb drive where the boot loader is to be installed.. if you do not select your thumb drive you Windows loader will be over written with the Linux grub loader...

Does the boot loader come with linux when i download it on my thumb drive? or do I need to download it separately on the thumbdrive?
  • oldgi
    oldgi Posts: 4
    Options
    Boot loader is installed at the end of the install process.

Categories

Upcoming Training