Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Slackware as my first Linux distro, brave or stupid?

Options

So I've heard that Slackware is for advanced users, will I have a hard time learning Linux by using Slackware? How long does it take to be adept at Linux? I'm fairly good with computers, I develop Java applications on my free time and I am starting college this year (Business information technology and computer science.) I believe I can learn easily but what do you guys think?

Comments

• jo3fis
    jo3fis Posts: 1
    Options
    So I've heard that Slackware is for advanced users, will I have a hard time learning Linux by using Slackware?

Depends how you approach it. If you are happy to read and research as well as follow online tutorials you will do fine. Be prepared for plenty of snags that will require time, reading and forums to solve.

Slackware does not come with a huge amount of officially supported software and likewise by default it does not automatically install dependant/required packages when installing something. There are tools to solve that issue however.

It is a worthwhile endeavor no matter the outcome as you will learn lots along the way. Just dont let it discourage you if it's not your cup of tea. Remember there are plenty of choices out there.

Categories

Upcoming Training