Workaround for capturing kernel panic message on Arch Linux (kdump allocation issue)
Hi everyone,
I’m trying to capture a kernel panic message on my Arch Linux setup as part of a prerequisite for the LFX program. This isn’t so much about fully setting up kdump, but rather about finding a way to save the panic output.
I initially tried using simple-kdump, but when I boot into my standard Arch kernel I keep seeing: "[FAILED] Failed to start Setup kexec environment for simple-kdump".
From what I’ve read, this might be because the crash kernel isn’t actually getting the 512 MB I specified in the config. I’ve been triggering the panic intentionally by adding a panic() call into init/main.c of the kernel, just below console_init().
Could this be related to GRUB in any way? Is there any workaround or alternative method I can use to reliably log the panic output, given that kdump’s memory allocation is failing?
Please feel free to ask any questions about my setup or anything else.
Thanks in advance for any ideas!
Categories
- All Categories
- 178 LFX Mentorship
- 178 LFX Mentorship: Linux Kernel
- 775 Linux Foundation IT Professional Programs
- 384 Cloud Engineer IT Professional Program
- 175 Advanced Cloud Engineer IT Professional Program
- 75 DevOps IT Professional Program - Discontinued
- 7 DevOps & GitOps IT Professional Program
- 103 Cloud Native Developer IT Professional Program
- 7.7K Training Courses & Learning Paths
- 14 AI & ML Training
- 1 Blockchain & Decentralized Identity Training
- 39 Cloud & Containers Training
- 5 Cybersecurity Training
- 3 DevOps & Site-Reliability Training
- 3 Linux Kernel Development Training
- 2 Networking Training
- 2 Open Source Best Practice Training
- 5 System Administration Training
- 1 System Engineering Training
- 6 Web & Application Development Training
- 798 Hardware
- 202 Drivers
- 68 I/O Devices
- 37 Monitors
- 96 Multimedia
- 173 Networking
- 91 Printers & Scanners
- 92 Storage
- 773 Linux Distributions
- 81 Debian
- 68 Fedora
- 24 Linux Mint
- 13 Mageia
- 24 openSUSE
- 151 Red Hat Enterprise
- 32 Slackware
- 13 SUSE Enterprise
- 356 Ubuntu
- 472 Linux System Administration
- 31 Cloud Computing
- 73 Command Line/Scripting
- Github systems admin projects
- 103 Linux Security
- 79 Network Management
- 102 System Management
- 46 Web Management
- 170 Mobile Computing
- 32 Android
- 123 Development
- 1.2K New to Linux
- 1K Getting Started with Linux
- 407 Off Topic
- 128 Introductions
- 35 Study Material
- 1.1K Programming and Development
- 311 Kernel Development
- 725 Software Development
- 1K Software
- 419 Applications
- 183 Command Line
- 5 Compiling/Installing
- 71 Games
- 320 Installation
- Archived
- 183 Small Talk
- 2 LFD140 Class Forum
- 1.4K LFS258 Class Forum
Upcoming Training
-
August 20, 2018
Kubernetes Administration (LFS458)
-
August 20, 2018
Linux System Administration (LFS301)
-
August 27, 2018
Open Source Virtualization (LFS462)
-
August 27, 2018
Linux Kernel Debugging and Security (LFD440)