Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Does anybody know why Jenkins when running in a Docker container from GCP, works so slow some times?

I have been following the instructions about the DevOps and SRE Fundamentals: Implementing Continuous Delivery (LFS261) course, but when running Jenkins from a Docker container that is hosted on my Google Cloud VM, the experience on the browser is very daunting because of the speed. I've read about the importance of Docker Volumes in these cases, but I am not sure, I'm just starting with this. I would appreciate help with this. I'd love to deploy my apps hosted completely on the cloud without these lag issues. In advance, thank you very much.

Cloud Native Developer IT Professional Program
Lab 4. Setting Up Continuous Integration with Jenkins

Answers

• rupesh14
    rupesh14 Posts: 1

I'm also facing this same slowness issue with google cloud machines, with same configurations and everything it is working very smooth in azure whereas not sure what is wrong with GCP, please help, thank you

• chrisanich
    chrisanich Posts: 10

Hello Rupesh,
    I was reading that it could be because Jenkins inside Dockers runs out of volume, so, we have to add an extra one to avoid this issue. It can happen on any vendor Cloud platform, it's a matter of luck. I am experimenting. Would you like to have a Discord chat?

• I'm also having the same issue, very slow.

• Hey, I found the solution @gatomario. Just create a new volume for Jenkins and DinD inside the Docker Compose file, and configure it to copy the data to a directory on your host machine (or Cloud VM) by adding the appropriate commands in the file. This way, you'll have persistent data on your host and won't need to retrieve everything again.
    Additionally, always make sure to shut down the containers before turning off the machine.
    Let me know if you'd like to study together!

Chris.

• I sort it out from my end as well, in my case it was an external IP discrepancy.
    The external IP of the VM instance changes, therefore was different that the Jenkins URL (Manage Jenkins, System, Jenkins URL), change it to the appropriate one and now its working at decent speed. One thing that I do not understand is that while having the wrong IP I still was having access to Jenkins...
    would love to hear more in details your solution and study.
    Mario

• chrisanich
    chrisanich Posts: 10
    edited September 7

Hey @gatomario. Yes, one critical point to access Jenkins is to have the host address. If you use GCP, every time you turn the VM on, it gets a different external IP. Now, you can use your local host to avoid this, but it's not how this lab is designed.
    The reason why you can access even with different ips, could be due to DNS cache sometimes points to the previous one. I have seen the same that you with a webpage I had, which was accessible with the previous hostname. It was the cache.
    I can realise you know a lot and I would like to have a study mate. Please let me know if you are willing and available to share contacts (Discord, WZP or whatever platform suits us best).
    Have a good day.

Christopher.

• @chrisanich do you know https://jami.net/?
    my name there is gatomario.
    I'm dont think I know a lot, but I would like to learn hopefully lots of fun stuff.
    Lets do it!, thanks for the great idea.

Categories

Upcoming Training