Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Lab 11: accessing argocd/vote-ui only with a NodePort service

Options

Hi all,

I'm following along lab 11 at the moment and face one issue.

The lab describes how to deploy argocd and then the vote-ui.
For both, it says that we can access the deployed service using only the NodePort service.
In my experience that is not possible with the current Google Cloud solution.

That's the first time I'm using gcloud so that might something clear to others?

For ArgoCD, I could fix this by looking at the official documentation here, they suggest to add a load balancer service to make it reachable: https://argo-cd.readthedocs.io/en/stable/getting_started/#service-type-load-balancer

For the vote-ui, I could ensure that the deployment is accessible within the k8 cluster this way:

1. I deployed a pod with busybox: kubectl run bb --image=busybox --rm=true -it
  2. From the pod I checked that vote-ui was reachable: nc -v -w1 <vote-ui-svc-ip> 80
  3. I checked that the NodePort service was working, from the busybox I could successfully check that the following was working for the 3 nodes of the cluster: nc -v -w1 <node-ip> 31272

But as soon as I try to use the nodes external ip from my local host, this does not work.
That contradicts the lab: "Visit one of your node IPs with the NodePort of your vote-ui service and you should see the vote application UI"

That's basically the same problem I encountered when installing ArgoCD.
I fixed ArgoCD by adding a LoadBalancer service.
I could do the same for the vote-ui but I wanted to ask and check if I'd miss anything?
Or the lab would need an update to reflect the current google cloud version?

Thanks a bunch for your support,
Valentin

Answers

• luisviveropena
    luisviveropena Posts: 1,158
    Options

Hi Valentin,

I reviewed the official documentation, and you are right: we should incorporate the specific ways you can use to reach the service, as there are three, including a load balancer service.

Regards,
    Luis.

Categories

Upcoming Training