Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Linux kernel Bug Fixing Spring Unpaid 2024 - Guidance to solve the given Tasks

Options
2»

Comments

• picoteando
    Options

@abhinavjain did you increase the crashkernel size in the GRUB config file? The following values are overkill to make sure there is no bottleneck here:

$ cat /etc/default/grub.d/kdump-tools.cfg 
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="$GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT crashkernel=1024M-:1024M"

If you did not, please edit the file and then run update-grub.

If you did indeed increase the crashkernel size there, I would recommend you to narrow down the possible sources of your issue: start with a much smaller image, and make sure that in that case everything works. If it does, your suspicion might be right. Otherwise, you might have a different problem. Try first the original kernel that came with the distro, and then with your custom version.

• abhinavjain
    Options

Yes, my GRUB config file looks like this presently:

abhinav@dev0:~$ cat /etc/default/grub.d/kdump-tools.cfg 
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="$GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT crashkernel=1G,high crashkernel=600M,low nmi_watchdog=1"

I will continue to narrow down the source as per your suggestion starting with the base distro kernel and then the custom one - thank you @picoteando

• picoteando
    Options

You are welcome, @abhinavjain. I will stress bottom-up approaches throughout the mentorship, because I can tell how time consuming top-down approaches are :lol:

Assuming that the default kernel will work (it will, eventually :smile: ), I would recommend you to use the distro's .config file to build the kernel to increase the chances of having the right behavior. You can build up with your custom configurations and hit the point where the issue arises again.

I would also keep the crashkernel size pretty high until you get that out of the equation.

• mikernl
    mikernl Posts: 2
    Options

Sorry I did something wrong and I lost the Discord channel that Javier shared with us, does anyone have the link?
    Thanks!

• picoteando
    picoteando Posts: 6
    edited March 5
    Options

@mikernl said:
    Sorry I did something wrong and I lost the Discord channel that Javier shared with us, does anyone have the link?
    Thanks!

@mikernl PM

• ShuahKhanLF
    ShuahKhanLF Posts: 148
    Options

These tasks are to evaluate required skills and should not be discussed.

Categories

Upcoming Training