Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Assistance with LFS207 Lab 34.2

Options

I did get to the proper breakage, but not the way the lab wants it done. I originally tried with Fedora 38, then with Debian 12 on the same laptop. It seems to me that with altering the grub.cfg both systems still boot into the system. I only received an error on Debian, but it allowed me to get past the error without going into rescue. My workaround was to delete grub.cfg and that forced me to go into rescue on the live usb and recover the grub.cfg from a copy. I don't see any section in the cfg files that mention the kernel, so I changed every mention to the UUID and still got past the breakage.

Comments

• luisviveropena
    luisviveropena Posts: 1,159
    Options

Hi @talan1268, I just did a test on Ubuntu 22.04.3 and it worked; I modified the UUID for the running kernel and it didn't boot.

So, perhaps you can double check that you are modifying the right line. I did 'uname -r' to see what kernel version is running, and modified the associated line in the /boot/grub/grub.cfg file.

It can change from one distro to another.

Regards,
    Luis.

• talan1268
    Options

I thought maybe it had something to do with LUKS, so I rebuilt the test machine without that. Found several lines in grub.cfg with the UUID, and removed the same character from each line. Successfully broken. Thank you for the response.

• luisviveropena
    luisviveropena Posts: 1,159
    Options

Hi @talan1268, you are back!

Ok, I'm glad it worked for you!

Found several lines in grub.cfg with the UUID, and removed the same character from each line. >Successfully broken. Thank you for the response.

Ohh ok, the required one to modify is the one for the running kernel, that's all.

It's a pleasure!

Regards,
    Luis.

Categories

Upcoming Training