Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Getting an error while starting the minikube start following the DOC LFS258-Using Minikube

Options

I am getting the error as below: -bash: /usr/local/bin/minikube: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error

Appreciate if anyone suggest on this.
i am using ubuntu 18.04 LTS on Oracle VM BOX with 4 GB memory 2 cpu

Comments

• m.letic
    Options

Could be related to your OS architecture and the package of minikube you are trying to run on that very architecture.
    What is the output of

uname -m

Please provide steps you used for minikube install and Ubuntu server/VM setup, this way it would be much faster and easier to help.

• chrispokorni
    chrispokorni Posts: 2,188
    edited December 2023
    Options

Hi @althafk8s,

The LFS258 content assumes a self managed Kubernetes cluster installed from the ground up. Minikube automates several aspects of the Kubernetes cluster installation and management, one of the reason why it may not be best suited for this course. While it may work, it will definitely alter the desired learner experience.

Minikube with the VirtualBox driver may not be suited for certain host OS and architectures. What is the OS release and architecture (processor) of your host machine? How much CPU, RAM, disk on the host machine? Is Minikube running on the host or a VM (what OS, CPU, RAM and disk)?

What is the version of the VirtualBox hypervisor? Is VirtualBox running on the host machine or inside another VM (what OS, CPU, RAM and disk)?

How many minikube VMs have you provisioned with the minikube start command and what are their sizes (CPU, RAM, disk)?

Answering these questions may help to make a recommendation for your environment.

However, without Minikube, I had repeatedly bootstrapped Kubernetes on a set of two VirtualBox VMs, each running the recommended Ubuntu 20.04 LTS OS, of 2 CPUs each, 8 GB RAM each, 20 GB disk each, single bridged network interface configured for each VM with promiscuous mode enabled to allow all traffic.

Regards,
    -Chris

Categories

Upcoming Training