Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Easy question: Lab 2: openssl: command not found

Options

Trying to do the next to the last step in Lab 2. Success with every other step in the lab. Here's the command and response:

**root@7aeaab43c771:/etc/hyperledger/fabric-ca-server/msp/crls# openssl crl -inform PEM -text -in crl.pem

bash: openssl: command not found**

openssl version 3.0.2 is installed with Ubuntu 22.04, but it isn't being seen from the location where the instructions tell me to be. Must be some setting to make openssl visible. I just don't know what it is.

Thanks in advance for assistance.

Answers

• Bobbijn
    Bobbijn Posts: 190
    Options

Hello @dougd, I will certainly try to help. ! It looks like you have openssl installed but the command line can't find it. This is typically a PATH issue. Here's what you can do to solve this problem:

Make sure that the installation was successful and that the binary is located in a directory that's included in your PATH environment variable. You can do this by typing:

which openssl

If the Command Doesn't Return a Path: It's possible that openssl is installed in a directory that isn't included in your PATH. You can find the installation path by searching for it:

find /usr -name openssl

Adding the Path to the PATH Environment Variable: Assume the path to openssl is /usr/local/bin/openssl, you can add it to your PATH by typing:

export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin

If you have no luck with this you can always try reinstalling openssl.

Please let me know if you need any further assistance!
    Bobbi

• dougd
    dougd Posts: 5
    Options

Bobbi,

Thanks for your response. Both /usr/bin and /usr/local/bin are in the PATH statement. I can call openssl from other directories, but not from: root@adf8a1f67a01:/etc/hyperledger/fabric-ca-server/msp/crls# openssl This is the directory specified in Lab 2.

When I try, this is the response:

bash: openssl: command not found

Following your suggestion, I unstalled and reinstalled openssl. Same result. It can be called from other directories but not this directory.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Doug

Categories

Upcoming Training