Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

question about archive and unarchive using tar command

Hi, I am able to add -C option to extract file to a specific directory. However, is it possible to archive file or folder to a specific directory like decompressing? Please help, thank you!

Answers

• coop
    coop Posts: 915

If I understand what you are saying, just give the file name with a path when creating it

• ariesjamie
    ariesjamie Posts: 12

@coop said:
    If I understand what you are saying, just give the file name with a path when creating it

Isn't your way just archive the file to the current directory not a specific directory? What I am trying to do achieve is that saying I am under the default directory(home directory), and I want to archive whatever in the folder /media/sample to a specific folder for example /tmp/backup. Is this possible?

• luisviveropena
    luisviveropena Posts: 1,152

Hi @ariesjamie ,

What I am trying to do achieve is that saying I am under the default directory(home directory), and I want to archive whatever in the folder /media/sample to a specific folder for example /tmp/backup. Is this possible?

Of course that's possible. Take a look to the following example:

pwd
    /home/luis
    (That means I'm at my home directory)

tar -cf /tmp/backup.tar /opt

That will create a tar file of /opt and will save the result file to /tmp/backup.tar .

If you want to bzip2 it, you can do the following command:

tar -cjf /tmp/backup.tar.bz2 /opt

And you can check on the file creation by doing 'ls -l /tmp'.

Regards,
    Luis.

• ariesjamie
    ariesjamie Posts: 12
    edited July 2022

@luisviveropena said:
    Hi @ariesjamie ,

What I am trying to do achieve is that saying I am under the default directory(home directory), and I want to archive whatever in the folder /media/sample to a specific folder for example /tmp/backup. Is this possible?

Of course that's possible. Take a look to the following example:

pwd
    /home/luis
    (That means I'm at my home directory)

tar -cf /tmp/backup.tar /opt

That will create a tar file of /opt and will save the result file to /tmp/backup.tar .

If you want to bzip2 it, you can do the following command:

tar -cjf /tmp/backup.tar.bz2 /opt

And you can check on the file creation by doing 'ls -l /tmp'.

Regards,
    Luis.

Oh, I see, thank you Luis for the example. All clear now!

• luisviveropena
    luisviveropena Posts: 1,152

It's a pleasure, Jamie!

Categories

Upcoming Training