Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Bulk printing of Billing files in ps (PostScript) format

Options

I have something like 50K *.ps (PostScript) files, these are basically billing files generated from data center. Now we want to read and select files based on some aspects like

1. Billed amount greater then (say) INR 2000

2. Billing address or Pincode matches a given value

I know this can be achieved by awk and sed, the problem begins here, I Don't know how to do it, also I am almost a newbe when it comes to shell scripting, so can somebody help me in writing a script whereby I can read the files, get their filename and then pass on to printer (with lpr) to print the files.

Also, if their is already a solution to these on Linux or Windows platform, then please suggest the software also.

Comments

• joel2001k
    Options
    Hi, parsing Postscript files seems somehow awkward. You say they are generated why don't you do additionally generate an XML file containing metadata?

Postscript is more a layouting scripting language but how ever if you know where the stack entry is located you might be able to do so. But you can make live harder than it is.

May be you have to revise your workflow just doing Postscript seems not to be straight forward. The results of the report could be easy tarred.

Categories

Upcoming Training