Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Dockerhub rate limiting struck

Options

While doing the tasks, I noticed that my image pulls are failing. I checked and it looks like the Dockerhub rate limiting has struck me.

Error: initializing source docker://nginx:latest: reading manifest latest in docker.io/library/nginx: toomanyrequests: You have reached your pull rate limit. You may increase the limit by authenticating and upgrading: https://www.docker.com/increase-rate-limit

Fixing it would require adding pull secrets and stuff. So I started to do workarounds, like using the local registry instead of Dockerhub. But I can only guess what the vish/stress image is about as its source is not published.

Has anyone stumbled upon this issue? How do you deal with it?

Comments

• akovi
    akovi Posts: 16
    Options

Waiting for a while, is of course an option. :)

• chrispokorni
    chrispokorni Posts: 2,165
    Options

Hi @akovi,

Lab exercise 3.2 shows you how to create a local repository, where you can push images retrieved from dockerhub, and then just pull them from the local repo when desired.

Regards,
    -Chris

• akovi
    akovi Posts: 16
    Options

Hi @chrispokorni , yes I referred to the local registry in my post too. But not having access to the vish/stress image in the first place, not having the docker container sources either (as those do not seem to be opensourced) make it impossible to go ahead that way.

I think what happened in my case is that some pod with an erroneous image name stayed in the cluster and k8s just kept on pulling. Then the rate limiter struck. --- About 1hr later, I could pull the image again.

Categories

Upcoming Training