Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

I want to be an AWS cloud engineer, but I don't know where to start.

Right now, I am working towards a Bachelors degree in CS. I originally aimed to be a software engineer, but recently I have decided to switch to be an AWS cloud engineer.

As of today, I am familiar with LUA, C++, Java, and Python.

I've done some research, and it looks like I need to have at least a bachelors in CS or a related field, and a number of certs to be even considered a candidate.

To the cloud engineers out there, what was your path, and how long did it take for you to come from knowing little to being eligible for a job.

What are good certification paths to follow?

What are the base requirements to become a cloud engineer?

Comments

• jacksom09
    jacksom09 Posts: 4
    edited November 2021

@jacksom09 said:
    Right now, I am working towards a Bachelors degree in CS. I originally aimed to be a software engineer, but recently I have decided to switch to be an AWS cloud engineer.

As of today, I am familiar with LUA, C++, Java, and Python.
    I've done some research, and it looks like I need to have at least a bachelors in CS or a related field, and a number of certs to be even considered a candidate.

To the cloud engineers out there, what was your path, and how long did it take for you to come from knowing little to being eligible for a job.

What are good certification paths to follow?

What are the base requirements to become a cloud engineer?

I got this,...

• If anyone asked me what I would do to become and AWS cloud engineer, I would say take the clpud engineer bootcamp here at Linux Foundation then do the AWS Solutions Architect Associate, before deciding to take developer/sysops/devops. You'll thank me later. I am an Azure expert who knows little about linux and it has become a requirement in my job role to be linux skilled. I have 8 x Azure Certs and 1x AWS Cert. I just wish I could have started from the bottom and understood linux and kubernetes before moving to the cloud. Sure, I can spin up an Ubuntu Vm on azure/aws, I can do the same for AKS/EKS but as requirements change and go deeper, my lack of strong linux and strong kubernetes starts to catch up with me. Oh and by the way, make sure you get a real good understanding of networking to glue all of this together.

Categories

Upcoming Training