Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Lab 8.3: NFS volume fails to mount

Options

Hello,

I was going to ask for some guidance, but just figured out the solution. I'll post it here in-case anyone encounters the same problem.

I was stuck between step 7 & 8 of lab 8.3.

PV and PVC were created OK, but the pod created in step 6 seems to fail to mount the NFS volume and I was uncertain whether I made a mistake or if there's was another problem.

kubectl get pods:

NAME                         READY   STATUS              RESTARTS   AGE
nginx-nfs-5f58fd64fd-qsqs8   0/1     ContainerCreating   0          16m

kubectl describe pod nginx-nfs-5f58fd64fd-qsqs8:

Name:           nginx-nfs-5f58fd64fd-qsqs8
Namespace:      default
Priority:       0
Node:           k8s-worker/172.31.46.65
Start Time:     Wed, 21 Jul 2021 16:14:36 +0000
Labels:         pod-template-hash=5f58fd64fd
                run=nginx
Annotations:    <none>
IP:
IPs:            <none>
Controlled By:  ReplicaSet/nginx-nfs-5f58fd64fd
Containers:
  nginx:
    Container ID:
    Image:          nginx
    Image ID:
    Port:           80/TCP
    Host Port:      0/TCP
    State:          Waiting
      Reason:       ContainerCreating
    Ready:          False
    Restart Count:  0
    Environment:    <none>
    Mounts:
      /opt from nfs-vol (rw)
      /var/run/secrets/kubernetes.io/serviceaccount from kube-api-access-jg5t5 (ro)
Conditions:
  Type              Status
  Initialized       True
  Ready             False
  ContainersReady   False
  PodScheduled      True
Volumes:
  nfs-vol:
    Type:       PersistentVolumeClaim (a reference to a PersistentVolumeClaim in the same namespace)
    ClaimName:  pvc-one
    ReadOnly:   false
  kube-api-access-jg5t5:
    Type:                    Projected (a volume that contains injected data from multiple sources)
    TokenExpirationSeconds:  3607
    ConfigMapName:           kube-root-ca.crt
    ConfigMapOptional:       <nil>
    DownwardAPI:             true
QoS Class:                   BestEffort
Node-Selectors:              <none>
Tolerations:                 node.kubernetes.io/not-ready:NoExecute op=Exists for 300s
                             node.kubernetes.io/unreachable:NoExecute op=Exists for 300s
Events:
  Type     Reason       Age                   From               Message
  ----     ------       ----                  ----               -------
  Normal   Scheduled    16m                   default-scheduler  Successfully assigned default/nginx-nfs-5f58fd64fd-qsqs8 to k8s-worker
  Warning  FailedMount  3m4s (x3 over 9m54s)  kubelet            Unable to attach or mount volumes: unmounted volumes=[nfs-vol], unattached volumes=[kube-api-access-jg5t5 nfs-vol]: timed out waiting for the condition
  Warning  FailedMount  47s (x4 over 14m)     kubelet            Unable to attach or mount volumes: unmounted volumes=[nfs-vol], unattached volumes=[nfs-vol kube-api-access-jg5t5]: timed out waiting for the condition
  Warning  FailedMount  10s (x16 over 16m)    kubelet            MountVolume.SetUp failed for volume "pvvol-1" : mount failed: exit status 32
Mounting command: mount
Mounting arguments: -t nfs k8scp:/opt/sfw /var/lib/kubelet/pods/c79023bd-4e26-4ffd-b065-a198c8c03303/volumes/kubernetes.io~nfs/pvvol-1
Output: mount: /var/lib/kubelet/pods/c79023bd-4e26-4ffd-b065-a198c8c03303/volumes/kubernetes.io~nfs/pvvol-1: bad option; for several filesystems (e.g. nfs, cifs) you might need a /sbin/mount.<type> helper program.

Googling the error message suggested failure to install nfs-common, but it was installed on the cp node. While preparing this post I realized the pod is running on the worker node which didn't have it.

Running sudo apt -y install nfs-common there and then recreating the pod resolved the problem.

I see I missed that 8.2 step 5 should've been run on the worker node, so my mistake.

Comments

• Cedric Meury
    Options

Thanks for this hint!

• lzambra
    Options

Hi, I did the whole thing, including the "nfs-common" and I am not making any progress. I am not sure if someone has faced the same problem.

• chrispokorni
    Options

Hi @lzambra,

Please provide the sequence of commands you executed on each node, part of the nfs installation, and their corresponding outputs.

Regards,
    -Chris

• lzambra
    Options

ok, info to someone that might face the same issue:

On previous lab, you need to use the namespace "small", if you try to create the new pvc, this is going to use "pvc-one" as name, and you will have two under the same name. I just removed the pvc-one that belongs to small and recreate the pvc without namespace, also, I noticed that didn't work. But the issue here was that PersistentVolume was not created. So, I create the PersistentVolume (PVol.yaml) and after the "pvc.yaml" worked!

• vbalas
    vbalas Posts: 1
    Options

Hi, I also encountered this error with pod failing to mount nfs volume. However in my case specific error was "Output: mount.nfs: Failed to resolve server cp: Name or service not known"

I did not have "cp" defined in /etc/hosts on nodes, just "k8scp" as stated in labs. There are many issues on net where pod can't resolve nfs server hostname even if dns is working fine and the solution was to use IP address of the "cp" node in the PVol.yaml instead of hostname:

server:1.2.3.4

Categories

Upcoming Training