Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

lab 13.3 - charts on dashboard

Hello,

in guide for lab 13.3 (dashboard configuration) - on figure 13.3 there are beautiful charts for CPU and memory usage. On my dashboard I've everything except those charts. What I'm missing in configuration?

Regards,
Mariusz

Comments

• chrispokornichrispokorni Posts: 1,066

Hi @mariuszr,

Assuming that your metrics-server is operational, from any of the following Dashboard view you should see the CPU Usage and Memory Usage charts: Overview, Deployments, Pods, etc... These views can be selected from the left navigation panel.

Regards,
    -Chris

• mariuszrmariuszr Posts: 4

Hi Chris,

Yes, metrics-server is working fine.

here how it looks in my case

Regards,
    Mariusz

Hi @mariuszr,

Did you happen to install the dashboard from a helm chart? Can you confirm that the dashaccess clusterrolebinding binds the correct serviceaccount with the correct clusterrole?

Also, is the metrics-server deployment configured with the additional --kubelet-... arguments as presented in step 5?

Regards,
    -Chris

• mariuszrmariuszr Posts: 4

Hi Chris,

yes, dashboard installed from helm chart (with service modified to NodePort)
    yes, roles are correct:
    Name: dashaccess
    Labels:
    Annotations:
    Role:
    Kind: ClusterRole
    Name: cluster-admin
    Subjects:
    Kind Name Namespace
    ---- ---- ---------
    ServiceAccount dashboard-kubernetes-dashboard default___

and, one more yes, metrics-server deployment had both --kubelet-... arguments - bellow piece of describe command
    "Containers:
    metrics-server:
    Image: k8s.gcr.io/metrics-server/metrics-server:v0.3.7
    Port: 4443/TCP
    Host Port: 0/TCP
    Args:
    --cert-dir=/tmp
    --secure-port=4443
    --kubelet-insecure-tls
    --kubelet-preferred-address-types=InternalIP,ExternalIP,Hostname"

Regards,
    Mariusz

Hi @mariuszr,

I have seen similar issues in the past with misconfigured Dashboard charts. In those situations the recommendation was to install the Dashboard following the documentation instead. As a result, steps 1 through 4 of the "Configure the Dashboard" lab should be replaced by:

The installation command from the documentation:
    kubectl apply -f https://raw.githubusercontent.com/kubernetes/dashboard/v2.2.0/aio/deploy/recommended.yaml

Edit the service and convert it into a NodePort type service:
    kubectl -n kubernetes-dashboard edit svc kubernetes-dashboard

List the service to view the value of the node port (3xxxx):
    kubectl -n kubernetes-dashboard get svc kubernetes-dashboard

Give the Dashboard admin access (edit and update the existing clusterrolebinding, or replace it with a new one):
    kubectl create clusterrolebinding dashaccess --clusterrole=cluster-admin --serviceaccount=kubernetes-dashboard:kubernetes-dashboard

Regards,
    -Chris