Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Setup Lab

I'm just starting LFS253. Do I need a cloud provider to be able to participate in the Labs. Can I do the labs using a virtualbox to setup a a VM on my laptop? Are there alternatives to doing the lab without using a cloud provider?

Comments

• chrispokorni
    chrispokorni Posts: 2,155

Hi @princenana,

The lab guide has been put together by running the presented exercises on a GCE instance, provisioned as described in Chapter 1. You may run the labs on a local VM as well, however, slight output differences should be expected.

Regards,
    -Chris

• So we have to order google cloud platform additionally in order to the exercises. The GCE instance is not included in this course, right?

• chrispokorni

Hi @renshuqin,

GCE is not a requirement for the lab exercises. It is recommended, however, but you do not have to run the labs on a GCE instance.

In addition, from a prior response:

You may run the labs on a local VM as well, however, slight output differences should be expected.

Regards,
    -Chris

• hi @chrispokorni,

I have just enrolled to the course. As I understand from intro to Lab1.1, some small AWS EC2 like t3.micro with Ubuntu 20.04 would work fine for this course?

Thank you,
    L

• chrispokorni
    edited February 2022

Hi @rusakl,

You should be able to run the labs successfully on an EC2 instance as well, provided it is provisioned in a similar fashion and is equivalent in size to the recommended instance from the lab guide.

Regards,
    -Chris

• If I understood right, we setup the lab using our personal cloud accounts. These are not included in the course right ??

Categories

Upcoming Training