Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

index-pack died of signal 9

Just started the course and am attempting to clone the kernel. I am running Ubuntu inside a VM set up with a 50GB drive. Git receives the objects and resolves 59% deltas before it drastically slows down. I am then left with the following which appears to overwrite the "Resolving deltas:" progress:

git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git linux_stable > build.log
Cloning into 'linux_stable'...
remote: Enumerating objects: 961, done.
remote: Counting objects: 100% (961/961), done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (568/568), done.
Receiving objects: 100% (9308198/9308198), 3.44 GiB | 10.08 MiB/s, done.
remote: Total 9308198 (delta 718), reused 592 (delta 393), pack-reused 9307237
Resolving deltas: 60% (4487342/7446407)
error: index-pack died of signal 946407)
fatal: index-pack failed

Comments

• ShuahKhanLF
    ShuahKhanLF Posts: 146

You could see this error due to directory permissions. Please make sure your login has permissions to write to the directory you are attempting to clone into.

• I have attempted several times from my home directory and from the root directory...running with "sudo" as well.

• ShuahKhanLF

How much memory does this VM have? Does dmesg offer any clues?

• I am set up for 2Gb of memory

• ShuahKhanLF

Did you check dmesg and other system logs for errors? This could be a memory problems. Try increasing memory for your vm

• I was able to find Ubuntu was only allocating 500MB for swapfile which i have increased to 4GB. However, i don't think memory is the problem. My system appears to hang at random points in the "Resolving deltas" stage...this time at 13%. Just prior to the hang, I verified there was 3.6GB of swapfile space remaining. I am waiting for the git to fail now which usually takes 5-10 minutes of "hang time".

• Nothing of note in dmesg

• coop
    coop Posts: 915

i never run VMs of only 2 GB when doing kernel git. i would go to 4 GB. i know that doinggit gc for example hangs a long time, even infinitely, as things are done in RAM and the repo is close to 2 GB. if you have not done so yet please try raising the memory. i've had many students do this clone without problem.

• Thanks everyone. After I updated my swapfile size (correctly), I was able to get a proper git.

Categories

Upcoming Training