Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

dual booted windows 7 and debian wheezy 7.7.0 only debian booted

Options
tulungaq
tulungaq Posts: 2
edited January 2015 in Command Line

hallo.

im joining this, hoping tbat anyone would help me to fix this problem.

I dual booted windows 7 and debian wheezy, I wanted to boot windows 7 first, but, only windows boot (no option to choose debian) so I did boot to rescue mode to fix this, and fix this /etc/default/grub and change thjs GRUB_DEFAUlT=0 which debian but only to boot debian.

and did this with grub terminal on boot changing the (hd0,msdos6) to (/dev/sda6 and I cannot change this again cause I cannot open it/boot to.

how do o fix this?

Cant seem to delete this

Managed to fix this though, i had set boot time to zero.

had to reinstall debian

Comments

• saqman2060
    Options
    Are you still experiencing the problem?

You don't think to need to use /dev/sda6 to indicate the root device of your installation. GRub2 seems to read hard drives using dos-type naming, e.g, (hd0, msdos6) which would represent /dev/sda6.

I am not very fluent using the grub-rescue image. I find it much easier for me to use a startup-disk.

If you are unable to boot your system, boot your system using a LiveCD and run gparted. Notice the partitions that have windows and debian installed and the names of the devices they are installed on. Then navigate to the /boot/grub/grub.cfg file and rename the "root" devices of your OS installations as (hd0,msdosx) = with "x" representing the number of the partition the OS is installed on.

Use this entry in my grub.cfg file as a guide.
    menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 3.18.0-12-generic (systemd)' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-3.$
                    recordfail
                    load_video
                    gfxmode $linux_gfx_mode
                    insmod gzio
                    if [ x$grub_platform = xxen ]; then insmod xzio; insmod lzopio; fi
                    insmod part_msdos
                    insmod ext2
                    [b]set root='hd0,msdos8'[/b]
                    if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
                      search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd0,msdos8 --hint-efi=hd0,msdos8 --hint-baremetal=ahci0,msdos8  cd8c3742-b1ef-4e7a-a93$
                    else
                      search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root cd8c3742-b1ef-4e7a-a93e-ce79cefff2e9
                    fi
                    echo    'Loading Linux 3.18.0-12-generic ...'
                    linux   /boot/vmlinuz-3.18.0-12-generic root=UUID=cd8c3742-b1ef-4e7a-a93e-ce79cefff2e9 ro  quiet splash $vt_handoff init=/lib/systemd/systemd
                    echo    'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
                    initrd  /boot/initrd.img-3.18.0-12-generic

Categories

Upcoming Training