Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Issue with building the labs for LFS258.

As per the LFS258 chapter. We need to build 2 instances with m5a.large size. This is chargeble. Is labs not included in the charges which I paid? I am blocked here to continue my course.

Comments

• Hi @praveenbatta,

The course encourages learners to use a cloud infrastructure for the lab environment. As Kubernetes matures as a software, it requires more resources than what a free/trial tear would provide. In order to minimize monthly costs I recommend stopping the instances between exercise sessions.

As an alternative, the lab exercises can also be completed on local setups with VirtualBox, VMware, or other hypervisor of choice.

Regards,
    -Chris

• THanks for the reply. Do that mean, student should bare that cost and I am surprised that it is not mentioed before purchasing the course.

• Hi @praveenbatta,

On the pre-purchase LFS258 course details page you can find a learning path section which includes a note that learners may incur charges while using cloud environments.

Regards,
    -Chris

• I received attached quote from Linux foundation team when I requested for the approvals from my company. which is not mentioned for labs :( . Now I have to bare these expenses from my pocket.

• I also enquired with AWS team and learned that 0.19 USD per hour for the resources what this course demands. Other courses are providing along with lab which is unlike to this :(:(

• fcioanca
    fcioanca Posts: 1,886

@praveenbatta Please keep in mind that the labs can be done using VMs or bare metal as well, at no cost. Plenty of students chose that route and complete the labs successfully. Yes, there may be some tweaks needed, but it's all part of the learning experence.

• can you send me any material which will assist me to setup lab on my MACbook Pro??

• coop
    coop Posts: 915

keep in mind VirtualBox is free of charge for the Mac. VMWare Fusion is not free but relatively cheap. Either can be used to run the VMs y ou need if you have enough memory and CPU

• Hi @praveenbatta,

If you follow the local instance sizing suggested at the beginning of the setup lab exercises, it should be pretty straight forward to setup the 2 VM instances. Keep in mind, however, that regardless which hypervisor you end up using to provision the local VMs, there should be no firewall between the nodes, meaning that the hypervisor should not block any traffic between your VMs (from any source, to any port, any protocol). Also, if the hypervisor uses default VM instance IPs from the 192.168.0.0/16 subnet, I strongly recommend using a different private network for VM instance IPs, such as 10.128.0.0/16, otherwise you will run into many issues with the Kubernetes cluster DNS.

Regards,
    -Chris

• Let me try

• What guest OS should I use if I build own setup on my MAC??

• Hi @praveenbatta,

The Overview section of Lab 3.1 introduces the Linux OS and the release version used to produce the lab exercises.

Also, you may find additional OS suggestions on the "Installation Considerations" page of the course lecture.

Regards,
    -Chris

• Hi

In this course, I dont see lectures for all the sections/topics. Exp : If you see chapter 4- Only introduction has lecture and others has only data which I need study. Am i missing anything here?

• fcioanca
    edited December 2020

Each chapter has introduction, lecture (text-based), labs, and knowledge check questions.

• I am not expecting this in this. Can I request for canceling this subscription and refund my money?

• fcioanca
    edited December 2020

The value of a course is given by the content (what it teaches you), not the delivery method used (text vs video). Please reach out to our Customer Support team and open a ticket: trainingsupport.linuxfoundation.org.

• genetorres
    genetorres Posts: 1
    edited December 2020

You should be able to sign on with AWS or Google Compute Platform (use a new e-mail account) and get some credits. I know with GCP you'll get $300 in credits, and the master node instance costs around $48/month (I looked into this last night). I thought of using GCP, but I do have a home lab on VMware vSphere, and already built my nodes out there. If you go the cloud route, as a bonus, you'd get more cloud exposure/experience as well. I'd say its worth it with the credits.

From what I understand if you build your own, try to stay within the 3 major distribution families. I personally chose (and use on a regular basis Ubuntu). It's available to use for free. I believe openSUSE and CentOS would be two alternative options.

Categories

Upcoming Training