Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Lab 19.1.1 Further explanation of `ip netns`

This exercise contains the first reference to network namespaces that I can remember in this course. I'm surprised because it seems really useful for testing, for example in earlier networking sections of this course.

Could someone please clarify the ip netns command for me. My understanding is it's a mock of being on a different network, is that correct?

Comments

• lee42x
    lee42x Posts: 380

Namespaces have been around a while and are heavily used in containers. They add a level of abstraction to some key resources in the system appearing as separate entities. We used the network namespace to emulate two distinct network environments in our lab. As for the command "ip netns " the "ip " command is the normal network manipulation command and the option "netns" says it is running in a namespace.

More information on namespaces is found here: https://lwn.net/Articles/531114/

Lee

• tncummings
    tncummings Posts: 16
    edited July 2021

Found this thread looking for the same information. The article helped me wrap my head around namespaces. Suggest this be added to the course (or maybe LFS201).

...and this netns capability makes me feel like the sorcerer's apprentice! Thanks for putting it in the lab!

Categories

Upcoming Training