Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

LFS211 - Question 13.2

Options

Hello,
What does it mean for showmount to operate in a particular version of NFS?

I have an NFSv4 server and running showmount on it from the client returns the defined exports. By that token, should NFSv4 not also be a valid answer?

Thanks,
/Henrik

Comments

• luisviveropena
    luisviveropena Posts: 1,154
    Options

Hi @HenrikAreskoug ,

I have an NFSv4 server and running showmount on it from the client returns the defined exports.
    By that token, should NFSv4 not also be a valid answer?

The showmount command gives information about the NFS server, what it's sharing and to who (hostname/IP). But I don't see it shows the NFS version of the server. The --version or -v parameters gives the program's version only. But I guess you are referring to NFSv1, 2, 3, 4, when you ask "What does it mean for showmount to operate in a particular version of NFS?".

If you provide more information about what you are doing/taking a look to, it could be easier to assist.

Regards,
    Luis.

• HenrikAreskoug
    Options

HI @luisviveropena,

I'm trying to understand the question, which is:

In which version does the NFS command showmount operate? Select all answers that apply.

NFSv4 is here the wrong answer and I don't understand why since my setup is NFSv4 compliant (if I understand my /etc/nfs.conf file correctly which says yes to version 3 and 4).

Since showmount works on my setup, I'm unclear on what's going on and why it's incorrect to say that showmount operates on NFSv4. I've explicitly set vers3=n in /etc/nfs.conf but showmount still works.

Either I don't understand what you mean by operates as running it appears to work just fine with my admittedly limited NFS experience, or there's something else going on. Either way, you're input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    /Henrik

• luisviveropena
    Options

Hi @HenrikAreskoug ,

I got it now. Happens that showmount is not supported on nfsv4, that's all :)

For reference:

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/8/html/managing_file_systems/mounting-nfs-shares_managing-file-systems

==> 3.6. Discovering NFS exports

Regards,
    Luis.

Categories

Upcoming Training