Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

LFS211 - Question 12.1 - Accessing controls

Hello,

I'm wondering if there's a typo in one of the answers for question 12.1 regarding the purpose of Squid as a proxy cache.

It claims one of the main purposes of using Squid is "To access controls". As a developers who back in the day dabbled with web application controls, Squid in my experience doesn't really concern itself with this accessing these obsolete controls.

If on the other hand the intent was to say that Squids "Controls access", it's then clear it's (one of) the correct answers. I assume that's what it refers to and if so, please consider rephrasing that option.

Thanks,
/Henrik

Comments

• luisviveropena
    luisviveropena Posts: 1,142

Hi @HenrikAreskoug ,

As a developers who back in the day dabbled with web application controls, Squid in
    my experience doesn't really concern itself with this accessing these obsolete controls.

I don't know what controls you are talking about. But the course material seems to be ok when it says "access controls". In fact -just to be sure- I reviewed the Squid documentation website and I found the following section:

Access Controls in Squid

https://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/SquidAcl

So, I understand that Squid enables you to implement controls on what the clients does. Perhaps you were confused with a similar concept you manage for another technology.

Regards,
    Luis.

• Thanks @luisviveropena
    "Access controls" means something different from "To access controls". The latter is what the question states and it's because you don't use squid to access controls; you use it for access control or it provides access controls, but again, not to access controls, the option as written is not grammatically correct.

Of course you use squid for the purposes of "access control" which is the same as to controlling access. Sorry about being so nit-picky and I understand what you want the intent to be, but I'm getting worried these grammar traps will be in the exam as well and impact the score negatively.

Thanks,
    /Henrik

• luisviveropena

Hi @HenrikAreskoug ,

We are separated from the examination team, but it's performance based; there aren't alternatives, boxes to check and things like that. Everything is an instruction for you to complete, like "do this, do that". So, I don't think you are going to have any problem with syntax, which could happen in other kind of exams.

Regards,
    Luis.

• coop
    coop Posts: 915

The course author can consider whether it should be "for access controls" or "to access controls". These kinds of minor points come up as everyone reads things different ways, and significant confusion is rare. I know this because in things I have written everyone has had no problem for years and then someone gets confused. Maybe they are right, maybe they are wrong, it always surprises me when it is wording that is even ancient. I always take such points seriously anyway.

• Almusowi
    Almusowi Posts: 2

Hi everyone, would like to get your feed back on my situation. I live in Seattle, WA and the class takes place at 8AM our local time. The class conflict with my work schedule and I am always late. Today I was late 35 minutes. i know there is away to watch the recording, but between work and family I am been studying 10 hours a week, and know are not enough. Any suggestion or a method that can help me to catching up. Thank you

• luisviveropena

Hi @Almusowi ,

I think it's good idea to go through all the material in the course, do all the labs and explore what else you can do with it. Explore the commands, take a look to the man page, investigate how the technology works, what are the possibilities of it.

For example, if we talk about a DNS server, you need to be clear what is it for, what you can do with it, and how. The "how" is pretty relevant here, so you can do the labs, and also share your findings in the forum, ask for assistance if you need.

Many regards,
    Luis.

Categories

Upcoming Training