Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

Lab 3.2

Hi, i am on the step that creates unprivileged container. After issuing following command

lxc-create -t download -n unpriv-cont-user

I am getting following error message

ERROR: Unable to fetch GPG key from keyserver
lxc-create: unpriv-cont-user: lxccontainer.c: create_run_template: 1617 Failed to create container from template
lxc-create: unpriv-cont-user: tools/lxc_create.c: main: 327 Failed to create container unpriv-cont-user

Comments

• chrispokornichrispokorni Posts: 677

Hi @sergeizak,

To troubleshoot tool-specific errors it is recommended to visit the official page of the tool, which may provide installation guides, FAQs, troubleshooting tips, and possibly forums.

For the issue you are experiencing with the GPG key, there seems to be a workaround, posted in the LXC forum:
    https://discuss.linuxcontainers.org/t/lxc-error-unable-to-fetch-gpg-key-from-keyserver/5434

Regards,
    -Chris

• sergeizaksergeizak Posts: 16

thanks Chris.. i got past the error by re-running prior steps in the lab and skipping host reboot

• RachelChanRachelChan Posts: 7
    edited June 29

Hi @chrispokorni ,

I'm on the step where you start the application on the container:

[email protected]:~$ lxc-start -n unpriv-cont-user -d

I am getting the following error message:
    lxc-start: unpriv-cont-user: lxccontainer.c: wait_on_daemonized_start: 842 Received container state "ABORTING" instead of "RUNNING"
    lxc-start: unpriv-cont-user: tools/lxc_start.c: main: 330 The container failed to start
    lxc-start: unpriv-cont-user: tools/lxc_start.c: main: 333 To get more details, run the container in foreground mode
    lxc-start: unpriv-cont-user: tools/lxc_start.c: main: 336 Additional information can be obtained by setting the --logfile and --logpriority option
    s

I googled the issue and read through the following threads but the solutions are either personalized or incomplete:
    https://discuss.linuxcontainers.org/t/error-with-fresh-ubuntu-18-04-container/3185/5
    https://github.com/lxc/lxc/issues/3016
    https://github.com/lxc/lxd/issues/5606

Hi @RachelChan,

Would you be able to provide a history of the prior commands, as it may provide clues to your issue.

Also, check the /var/log/lxc/ directory for container logs. See whether anything is recorded in a log for this unpriv-cont-user container. You can also try parsing thru syslog with this command:

cat /var/log/syslog | grep unpriv

Can you also provide the output of cat /etc/os-release | grep VER of your Ubuntu host (not the lxc container).

Regards,
    -Chris

• RachelChanRachelChan Posts: 7
    edited July 2

The prior commands were:
    echo lxc.idmap = g 0 231072 65536 >>~/.config/lxc/default.conf
    cat ~/.config/lxc/default.conf
    sudo reboot
    lxc-create -t download -n unpriv-cont-user

I don't see any log files in /var/log/lxc.

cat /var/log/syslog | grep unpriv doesn't return anything

The output of cat /etc/os-release | grep VER is:

What are the outputs of your cat /etc/subuid and cat /etc/subgid ?

I have a feeling that you are not using the correct UID and GID when configuring LXC, and that's why containers are not started.

Regards,
    -Chris

• dhnijsuredhnijsure Posts: 4

Hi I am encountering quite the same issue:
    lxc-start -n unpriv-cont-user -d
    lxc-start: unpriv-cont-user: lxccontainer.c: wait_on_daemonized_start: 842 Received container state "ABORTING" instead of "RUNNING"
    lxc-start: unpriv-cont-user: tools/lxc_start.c: main: 330 The container failed to start
    lxc-start: unpriv-cont-user: tools/lxc_start.c: main: 333 To get more details, run the container in foreground mode
    lxc-start: unpriv-cont-user: tools/lxc_start.c: main: 336 Additional information can be obtained by setting the --logfile and --logpriority options

cat .config/lxc/default.conf
    lxc.net.0.type = veth
    lxc.net.0.link = lxcbr0
    lxc.net.0.flags = up
    lxc.net.0.hwaddr = 00:16:3e:xx:xx:xx
    lxc.idmap = u 0 1001 1002
    lxc.idmap = g 0 1001 1002

uid & gid match and they are not the same as in the documentation...231072 65536

lxc-start -n unpriv-cont-user --logfile=junk1.log --logpriority DEBUG

lxc-start unpriv-cont-user 20201005231613.604 ERROR network - network.c:lxc_create_network_unpriv_exec:2178 - lxc-user-nic failed to configure requested network: cmd/lxc_user_nic.c: 1296: main: Quota reached

Hi @dhnijsure,

What is your machine type (local VM, cloud VM, bare-metal), size, OS?

Regards,
    -Chris

Hi Chris...I am using GCP VM as advised in the lab guide please.

Thanks...Dhanesh

• Hi @dhnijsure ,

What OS and version are you working with on the GCP vm?

Regards,
    Luis.