Welcome to the Linux Foundation Forum!

LFS201 - Chapter 3 Discussion // Questions // Banter

Options

PROCESSES

Comments

• chrisfeig
    chrisfeig Posts: 32
    Options

I was absent for the office hours sessions where the lab3.1 was explained in a bit more detail. What was the final verdict on this one?

• blackbear710
    Options

Here is a decent link for ulimit >> https://linuxhint.com/linux_ulimit_command/

I also did not see the zoom session, derp :///

To my understanding ulimit is used to set resources/space/gb/mb etc limit on a specific user, user group, database/file and or show how much they are using(mb/gb etc..)

It may need some clarification b/c I am not expert.... but I think it has to do with setting /allocating resources/space for users, but I am sure just like everything in Linux, it is much more involved than just that right?

• chrisfeig
    Options

ah sorry I ment 3.2 :#
    there's another discussion going in the forum anyway

• chrisfeig
    Options

I concur with what you said about ulimit though! :D

• heiko_s
    heiko_s Posts: 99
    Options

@blackbear710 said:
    Here is a decent link for ulimit >> https://linuxhint.com/linux_ulimit_command/

I also did not see the zoom session, derp :///

To my understanding ulimit is used to set resources/space/gb/mb etc limit on a specific user, user group, database/file and or show how much they are using(mb/gb etc..)

It may need some clarification b/c I am not expert.... but I think it has to do with setting /allocating resources/space for users, but I am sure just like everything in Linux, it is much more involved than just that right?

It's correct, but it's important to note that ulimit only works for the current session. If you reboot the settings are gone. On a Debian/Ubuntu based system you can edit /etc/security/limits.conf

• coop
    coop Posts: 915
    Options

It should be/etc/security/limits.conf on any sane distribution (including all Red Hat -based ones such as RHEL, CentOS, Fedora.)

Categories

Upcoming Training